Tempered glass/Sump setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FraggleRock

Will the tunze 6060s get rid of my dead spots in the tank. I have a pair of old penguin 350s and my skimmer. Im so tired of them and I really do think they have a lot to do with some of my corals not fully opening up!
125gal with no sump. I bought my tank at PetCo and it was not reef ready and was wondering if any one has had luck drilling the tempered glass before I tear down my whole tank? I really would like to step up a notch and have a sump set up. Any advice would be great.:D

Are you sure the tank is all tempered? Most tanks are only tempered on the bottom, although some are all tempered. To answer your question, I'm sure no one has had luck drilling through tempered glass. It doesn't work. You cannot drilled tempered glass and if you try, the whole pane of glass will shatter.

Ok I see what you mean. Ya Its just a non drilled tank is all. I dont think it would be to bad to drill. They make whole saw bits for glass dont they?

Hole saws made for glass is for glass that is not tempered. They don't make a drill bit/hole saw for tempered glass because it cannot be drilled. When you see a glass tempered with a hole in it, the hole was drilled first then the glass gets tempered after. Like mentioned, be sure the glass is not tempered before you drill. Good luck! :)

the glass isnt tempered so I think im going for it! Ill post pictures so anyone can follow along to see the progress. Thanks for the input.

Sometimes a local glass shop will drill it for you for the cost of the drill bit you'd buy.
No-ones perfect and it still can break, But done slowly and jently Many have had sucess !
I don't wan't to discorage you..Just for-warn you. I have a 180 AGA that someone else drilled before I got it used ( otherwise I could not have afforded it at the time).

Back