Tenacious flatworms!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Playapixie

I recently took over care of a little 12 gallon Fluval Edge reef that belongs to my friend's daughter while she travels the world for the next year. It was in quite a frightful state of algae & cyanobacteria when it came to me (its last babysitter neglected it severely), but after a couple of weeks in my care, some large water changes, and the addition of a good clean-up crew, it's actually starting to look pretty nice! Amazingly, her 3 little fish and the corals she had in there have all survived the move and the previous slum-conditions.

The one remaining problem is a horrible case of flatworms. Initially there were so many I thought it was some kind of algae infestation I'd never seen before; they covered everything.

I've now treated the tank 3 days in a row following the directions on the Flatworm Exit box (full dose, 50% dose 45 minutes later, and activated charcoal once they start dying), with a 50% water change on the 2nd day after the 2nd treatment. Now on day 4, there are STILL some of those tenacious ugly worms creeping up the glass. The population is a tiny fraction of the original, but it's frustrating that after 3 days of treatment, they persist.

Fortunately, even despite the massive kill-off on day one, nothing in the tank seems to have suffered, and the fish, corals, snails, and hermits are all just fine.

Suggestions? Should I go for a larger dose? Follow the instructions again today? Wait longer between treatments? Leave the charcoal out longer? The only time I ever had these in my main tank, one treatment did the trick and they never returned, so I'm not sure what to do about such a terrible infestation.

Thankfully I don't *think* I've accidentally cross-contaminated my main tank, yet...

Since you removed the majority of the flatworms in the first round of treatments, you should be good to go with a second round using a higher dose.
The worst part of treating for flat worms is the toxins they give off when they die.

I'd do it all over again just like the instructions say, but at a higher dose. Say 50% higher.

I have used FWE at 4 times the recommended strength.

Mfinn is correct and his advise prudent. Being that I am always by my tank 24/7, I run it at a full double-strength and leave it in with no water change for 48 hours. Works itself deep into the sand and other crevices where survivors might be otherwise. Turn off the skimmer as it will almost explode from foam. After two days and 100% cleaned out, I do massive water changes. Be sure to blast the heck out of all rocks, corners, sand top layer and use fish nets to get as many as possible and filter socks for the rest. Keep changing filter socks on the 1/2 hour. Seems to do the trick as a final solution . . .

IF FISH ARE SHOWING VISABLE SIGNS OF DISTRESS, INSTANTLY DO A MASSIVE WATER CHANGE AND SKIMMERS ON.

Thanks for the advice. I did a double-dose of Flatworm Exit today and left the carbon out for several hours. I just put carbon back because I have to go out for a few hours, but fingers crossed that's the final trick. Fish and corals and other life still appear fine. I doubt there are enough flat worms left in there to have their deaths do much harm, but it's frustrating that there are any at all after 4 days of treating it!

I've been blasting the rocks and crevices every time I've dosed it. I really hope the double-dose does the trick...

not sure if it will help but when i had them i used a syphon hose that had a mesh bag on the end that sat in my sump. sucked the worms from my display, they would get stuck in the mesh bag and the water would go into my sump. it worked really well but took about a month to get rid of them.

Kinda fun chasing them around and sucking them out of places.

Unbelievable. Several treatments with Flatworm Exit, the last time with 3X normal dose, and those little bastards persist. It's a tiny fraction of the original population, but still, annoying!

I think my next method will be a six-line wrasse. Anyone had luck with them?

Dawn

Back