test kits accuracy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sarupp

I just received a new Salifert nitrate test kit from ebay and tested my water in my 125. The test water never changed color so then I did the half test method where you multiply it by 10, still no reading. Then I used my other test kit. The aquarium pharm’s master test kit. It reads 10ppm.
I have read that the salifert is more reliable. It’s hard to believe. Has anyone experienced this? Are any of these kits reliable?
Thanks, all input would be greatly appreciated.

I would believe the Salifert kit. Does the kit have an expiration date on it? That might be something to check (I think Salifert has dates on their boxes?). Otherwise, you can always take a water sample in somewhere to double check. I had a cheap Red Sea ammonia test kit that was very wrong compared to the Salifert results. I'm not familiar with the master test kits, but I trust Saliferts.

no date on the box. but it was brand new...unlike the other kits i bought. i found someone selly 14 salifert test kits on ebay...they claimed they were all new...but 5 of the kits were opened. the seal was removed.
my ph also was low on the sailifert test kit...that is very strange too...since i do dose with kalk. but my other kit says it is fine....

I use both AP and Salifert test kits, both work fine for me. I sometimes test and use both kits to compare. Tonight when I get home I will test my aquarium for nitrAtes using BOTH kits and will post the results. In the past, both kit's results are usually very, very close if not identical.

As for the AP expiration dates:
Quote:
.....I decided Ito ask Aquarium Pharmaceuticals themselves since I am using their saltwater test kit. Their answer:

In response to your question, each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on
the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture.
Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of
2002. Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, and GH all last for three years.
Nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH and Salt Level test
are good for 5 years.....

how about salifet's experation dates...i went to their home page but their is no place to ask any questions...just a basic site about their products.
Are the instructions with your salifert kits ? mine have a piece of papper that looks like it is printed off of a copy machine? and do the instructions have a date on them? i relize this probably is not the date of the product, just when the instruction were printed.

Each Salifert reagent bottle has a batch #. You can ask questions at www.reefcentral.com in the Salifert forum. When asking those questions, it helps when you use the batch numbers.

thanks finn....i was just at that site....i am at work and can not read their forums...they are blocked. but i can read their articles.

Both of my AP and Salifert test kits read 5 ppm for me tonight. I even got an unbiased opinion (my husband) to read them. Make sure that you are holding the AP test vial about 1/2" or so from the white background of the color chart; and with Salifert you will need to hold the vial touching the color chart.

i usually get a second opinion also...the colors are so close. i look at it under different lighting and it still is tough to tell what color it is....i am talking about the AP test kit.

Yep, the 0, 5, & 10 ppm are very, very close. The Salifert helps to pinpoint anything under 10ppm if necessary. But I just shoot for a light yellow on the AP... anything else and I up my water changes.

Back