Test Kits Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

I just bought an API calcium and KH test kit. Tested my calcium with the API 500, Red Sea 450, Salifert 380. Which one would you trust?

How old are they? The regents would or could make a difference! My guess is your ca is between 380 & 500 PPM:lol::eek:

Maybe Boomer can make sense of it, I use the API myself & like it but don't know how accurate it is.

The Salifert is at least a year, but still with in the expiration date on the box. The Red Sea is older and the API is brand new.

My guess is the Saliflert because it should be more accurate but they have had CA issues lately & I don't know if that was one of those.

LaMott or Hatch makes a reliable test but they are costly.

Reproducability (results from a re-test with each kit) would be interesting as well.

I just switched from salifert to LaMott salifert was giving me a false high reading on my alk tests. A very HIGH reading. just my 2 cents or maybe 1 cent

I recently started using the API ca test kits myself, It is really easy but not sure how it compares to the rest!

I started using API and have a LaMott. Problem with my LaMott is once the color changes it will change back very quickly. So fast that I'm not sure and that response will continue for the next several drops. I've never understood this.

mmkeeper,

for sanity sake, you might want to take a water sample to a LFS and have them perform a Ca test.

I started using API and have a LaMott. Problem with my LaMott is once the color changes it will change back very quickly. So fast that I'm not sure and that response will continue for the next several drops. I've never understood this.

How does the API compare to the LaMott? I think once it changes you hit the sweet spot & that should be used for your numbers.

How does the API compare to the LaMott? I think once it changes you hit the sweet spot & that should be used for your numbers.

That would seem the likely answer and I agree. But this is very difficult because the change is not day and night , it is a partial color change and buy the time you start an additional drop to confirm this is in-fact the change point it's already back. After several drops more this eventually cause a complete color change. Big difference between the two points. I would think the saturation point would be the real answer but Then that point seems unusually high.

I would appreciate anyone who has experience with the LaMott to comment?

I remember that now & I think your right, you have to add until it changes completely but it will only last so long, I think the sudden change isn't quite there. Hopefully Boomer will chime in to all for these questions! :)

I dont know if this helps at all, but I use API for my CA and ALK. I tried Instant Ocean's test too, but I got a lot of different results on the same batch of mixed salt. API seems to be more reliable for me, but thats not saying much.

With Lamotte you match the color on the card, purple. From the initial change it is usually one or two drops, and one or two more after those will go beyond to the red color. You will get the hang of it after a few tests. One line (about a drop) is 4ppm so really not that much of a dkh change in a few drops. I think it is a more precise reading over API that works in 1 dkh values. I use API and refine a couple times a week with my Lamotte.The API will show you are say 8,9,or 10 and lamotte will show if you are say 8.3, 8.5, 8.7 and so on. As long as my api goes to 9 I dont worry. I use the Lamotte to get a better dosage calculation when adding supplement.

I have used Salifert and found the results to be consistent most of the time. As far as API and Instant Ocean brands, found them to vary too much. Then I switched to Elos and everything is consistent, granted my system is. Elos are very easy to use and seem to last a long time. But as I said that is just my opinion. We all use what we want.

Consistency is important, just like in salt mix or anything else we add but remember they all can be inconsistent over time. Your Lab grade kits are probably the most reliable because you pay extra for the consistency along with accuracy.

Back