Test kits

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Salifert, Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Once tha tank is up and cycled and depending on the animals. Calcium, MG, Alk, & Phos.

I'm with James 100%! I use the same brand (Salifert) and have all the above test kits except I haven't gotten the phosphate test kit yet :oops: .

James pretty much listed everything that you will need to start with and then if you get corals well i just noticed he listed them too. Yeah just go with what james suggested.

carlos - check out this thread. I have a link in it to the refractometer I use: Refractometer

As for pH probes, you could get a Pinpoint brand (I used that before getting a Aquacontroller). Just remember to recalibrate it every 4-6 weeks.

Sometimes it's good to have both on hand Carlos. The PH monitor/probe may start reading off a bit and it will only be by using a ph test kit, that you will be able to determine if you need to re-calibrate the ph monitor. When setting them up, they send a solution to calibrate it, but over time, sometimes they need re-calibrating:)

You don't have to, but I would just incase. It's great to do some comparisions of the 2.

Edit: you beat me Krish...

Nope... Refractometers are by far the best thing to use and are so much more accurate than a hydrometer. There is a conversion table somewhere here which I can get for you if you need it incase you want to convert salinity to specific gravity or vice versa (for posting sake :) )

I wouldn't. Once I got my refractometer my hydrometer was placed in the spare parts bin and has yet to be touched. :)

Edit: You beat me again Krish.. Must be the 10k + post count pushing me out. :)

Nope... Refractometers are by far the best thing to use and are so much more accurate than a hydrometer. There is a conversion table somewhere here which I can get for you if you need it incase you want to convert salinity to specific gravity or vice versa (for posting sake :) )

Krish, I think most Refracts (at least my newer one) displays both.

Krish, I think most Refracts (at least my newer one) displays both.

Yeah! That's cool...I've been meaning to buy one for a while now, but have been to busy buying other things :oops: I just use the old taste test. It my tongue dries up, then it's about right:lol: Naw...I use a hydrometer for now. I usually test it against ocean water here when I can to see if it is accurate because I know our water runs about 1.026-7 off of shore. Which one do you have James?

Back