test results question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scooter

Hello folks, anyone have some insite to my dilema? I tested my calcium with a Hanna calcium checker 4 times and got the same reading of 475. I then checked it with a Red Sea Pro kit 2 tests both 400, then i checked it with an API kit and got same reading of 400 as the Red Sea Pro kit. 2 kits at 400 then 1 at 475, dont understand the wide test results. I emailed Hanna and they say that their meters do read a little high but they are correct......... seems a LOT high to me. Anyone out there had the same experiance?
Scott

i have the exact opposite. with api i test 475 cal. then i bought hanna and it said 440. with my experience with hanna in hydro they are very accurate. i plan on totally switching to hanna testing. but with price i am doing it slowly. how old is the test kits and the reagents ur using? any chance of contamination? if so replace all the reagents.

That is a mighty big difference between the Hanna & RSP/API. I would try testing a fresh batch of SW before it goes into your tank.

Is your Hanna test kit expired? This has nothing to do with test kits but when you check a tire air gauge for accuracy you use three gauges and go with the two that match and toss the third one in garbage.

kpio yes i was under impression that they were accurate aswell but Hanna rep said that they do read high(how much higher is the question). I had the mindset Bosco does, and i figured it was the hanna that was wrong but after talking to a few people and also sent MR.saltwatertank an email and he says same thing, believe the hanna results. I am going to talk to a LFS and see if i can borrow there pinpoint meter to check it with that. Let everyone know what i find out. Have a great weekend.

kpio yes i was under impression that they were accurate aswell but Hanna rep said that they do read high(how much higher is the question). I had the mindset Bosco does, and i figured it was the hanna that was wrong but after talking to a few people and also sent MR.saltwatertank an email and he says same thing, believe the hanna results. I am going to talk to a LFS and see if i can borrow there pinpoint meter to check it with that. Let everyone know what i find out. Have a great weekend.

I would still question. Wouldn't belive the hanna simply because its electonic....could be malfunctioning. I would obtain at least 2 other tests by reputable test kits to verify the hann is working properly.

Back