The complete 40b reef build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Millenia

So Im trying to piece together all the blueprints for this tank, and so far I believe I have my overflow figured out...kinda. First time doing this so ill throw my ideas off ya. So here is what im thinking..I sketched up a quick blueprint for my overflow for the 40g. I really want a external coast to coast using the bean method. while having a small 1" or 2" internal weir draining into the overflow.
3Dtank.png

A quick rough draft. Has anyone use this before? I havent been able to find alot of info online about this. Any suggestions or comments are welcome :)

Remember that theres going to be critters living in the tank you don't want to get to the refuge, snails hermits shrimp and what have you. So you nees a mesh or slotted intake to the over flow that goes higher than the water line so they dont climb over and get into the sump and plug up pumps and skimmers. And they will find a way to get down there. I find hermits in my refuge if I dont keep a screen on the overflow. But my over flow is just a 2 1/2" pvc elbow. And then you have to think about how you'll attatch that box to the back of the tank with out leaks or it falling off over time. But you may have a good idea already....just thinking. Theres some designs out there that us a pvc pipe running the length of the tank with a slit cut the length of the pipe on top. And the water comes up over the pipe into the slot down the pipe and then to the end of the pipe and down . But that takes drilling the back of the tank. Just somethings to think about I'm no expert.

You can hook up with some of the members on here and go to there houses and see what they did also. And see some great tanks too. Alot of the members on here are very willing to help.

Alrighty, thanks to eric and dave Im redoing my tank. Most likely Ill be running an internal c2c herbie lol I started on the stand today, and hopefully ill have the basic frame together tomorrow. Heres what it looks like so far
2012-09-29_20-02-51_641.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I ran outta money before I could barely start lol. I'll be finishing the stand soon

Ok, the build is back in progress. After moving and all that fun stuff that follows

Back