The downsize!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pentagona

Snail Turd
Okay, so many of you know that I had to move my tank down to Blue Sierra back in January due to a flood in my home. In order to fascilitate the move more easily I purchased a used 240g acrylic tank from Jonas to set-up in the store while they babysat my livestock and gear. Well, my house is done, we're moved back in, and now it's time to move everything back home.

My original plan was to set the 240 up at home as my main display, and I may still at some point. However, for now, since my wife is still out of work recovering from her second back surgery I have to cut expenses down where ever I can, including my hobby. So for the moment everything will be going back into my 120 where I'll use half the salt, half the lighting, and half of most everything else.

Before I get ahead of myself though, I want to say a HUGE thank you to Jonas and everyone at Blue Sierra for giving me a place to temporarily home my stuff. Without you guys I probably would have lost everything and I don't know of any other LFS that would have taken on that responsibilty.

As far as tank and equipment specs go, here's the run-down:

AGA 120 4x2x2 w/ dual megaflows

Megaflow sump model 4 with bio media removed and replaced with 3 layers of different denity filter material dual Mag9.5 returns

ETSS evolution 750 skimmer and Euroreef RS100 (very generously stocked tank for a 120)

3 phosban reactors carbon/phosban/purigen

Octopus Ca reactor

DIY Kalk reactor

30g grow out tank

10 cryptic fuge

2x400w reeflux 20k's over display with Lumatek Ballasts

1x250w Hamilton 14k over grow out tank

I have 480w of T-5 Actinic lighting but have decided not to use it for now.

Reeflo Hammerhead feeding an Over-the-top CL @ 5800 GPH

and a RKEv2 to automate as much as possible.

Here are a couple of pics of the tank w/ my rock in it already but no sand yet and some equipment pics. Will try and take some shots of the grow out tank and stuff this weekend, and keep you guys updated on progress. The pics will be sorta crummy since I haven't found the box with my camera in it yet and am using my iPhone for everything. Note that the CL and permanent lighting are not installed yet. I just have a 300w sunpod over the tank for the moment.

tankshot.jpg

stand.jpg

rke.jpg

That's a pretty sweet set up there with how you plumbed those reactors. What is your supply pump for them? What fitting did you use to get down to the 1/4" tubing? Just so ya know, I'm totally going to steal that idea :D

the supply pump for them is just a mxijet600. A 1/2 barbed fitting will actually fit into the rubber slips that come with the reactors which makes it easy to reduce to 1/4" JG's. Then the 1/4" tubing will just shove into the maxijet outlet pretty snug. Works like a charm and eliminates having to have a feed for each reactor. Steal away!

Okay, so many of you know that I had to move my tank down to Blue Sierra back in January due to a flood in my home. In order to fascilitate the move more easily I purchased a used 240g acrylic tank from Jonas to set-up in the store while they babysat my livestock and gear. Well, my house is done, we're moved back in, and now it's time to move everything back home.

My original plan was to set the 240 up at home as my main display, and I may still at some point. However, for now, since my wife is still out of work recovering from her second back surgery I have to cut expenses down where ever I can, including my hobby. So for the moment everything will be going back into my 120 where I'll use half the salt, half the lighting, and half of most everything else.

Before I get ahead of myself though, I want to say a HUGE thank you to Jonas and everyone at Blue Sierra for giving me a place to temporarily home my stuff. Without you guys I probably would have lost everything and I don't know of any other LFS that would have taken on that responsibilty.

As far as tank and equipment specs go, here's the run-down:

AGA 120 4x2x2 w/ dual megaflows

Megaflow sump model 4 with bio media removed and replaced with 3 layers of different denity filter material dual Mag9.5 returns

ETSS evolution 750 skimmer and Euroreef RS100 (very generously stocked tank for a 120)

3 phosban reactors carbon/phosban/purigen

Octopus Ca reactor

DIY Kalk reactor

30g grow out tank

10 cryptic fuge

2x400w reeflux 20k's over display with Lumatek Ballasts

1x250w Hamilton 14k over grow out tank

I have 480w of T-5 Actinic lighting but have decided not to use it for now.

Reeflo Hammerhead feeding an Over-the-top CL @ 5800 GPH

and a RKEv2 to automate as much as possible.

Here are a couple of pics of the tank w/ my rock in it already but no sand yet and some equipment pics. Will try and take some shots of the grow out tank and stuff this weekend, and keep you guys updated on progress. The pics will be sorta crummy since I haven't found the box with my camera in it yet and am using my iPhone for everything. Note that the CL and permanent lighting are not installed yet. I just have a 300w sunpod over the tank for the moment.

tankshot.jpg

stand.jpg

rke.jpg

What is that power supply??? Are those digital surge protectors? Are they individual strips or a whole unit? Is that a LCD timer or a display of some sort? I am going to steal the phoseban reactor idea too :badgrin:

They are individual controllable strips for the Reef Keeper Elite. From top to bottom you have the controller interface, the probe interface module and then (5) 4 outlet controllable power strips for the RKE. Really nice because each outlet is controllable. You guys are funny, I thought my phosban set-up was old hat?

So as usual I've been terrible about keeping this updated, but here are some pics that I took last night now that I've got the tank set-up completely. I lost a lot of colonies trying to get the system stabilized, and you can still see some damage to the colonies that made it but everything is recovering well now. A lot of the SPS is still browned out and is just now starting to color back up on several of the colonies. Again, sorry about the crappy pics. Still haven't found my camera :(

FULL TANK SHOT
cid_CFDBDF41-ED21-4952-BDD6-C940B1A.jpg

RIGHT SIDE
cid_5CB15043-6616-4F52-8495-88CE2B2.jpg

LEFT SIDE
cid_352F0E03-35F3-45B7-A277-90341B9.jpg

END SHOT
cid_47211C6A-922B-4FDB-81CD-A229CDA.jpg

That Naso is the coolest fish. Probably my favorite. I can be twenty feet away from the tank and he'll see me coming and start doing the feed me dance.

Thanks MGD. I decided not to use any actinics this time since I'm running 2x400w reeflux 20k's, and it's definitely a different look. I haven't decided if I like it or not yet. Might have to add a couple of my T5's back to the system just to get a better flourece.

Back