the new 25 gal nano project

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklcd

nursing eel
hey all

well its time I just started my new nano and I am thrilled. its nothing major yet but its a good start. I had to down grade form my 55 to a 25 becuse the 55 was in the basment and I kinda let it go too far so I decied that something smaller would be better. So with that in mind I went down to a shop in town that had a half off sale and got a 25 gal starter kit for 60 bucks which was perfect so here it is.

tank: 25 gal (24"l x 12.5"w x 22"h)
skimmer: seaclone 100 (I know its not the best skimmer but for this tank it should be just fine)
live rock: 13 lbs (all kinds of types)
water flow: power head 902 (900 gph)
Lighting: 150 watt MH HQI 15k W/ 2 x 24 watt Super Actinic HO t5s (will be on it in about 2 weeks)

I just put everything together 2 days ago so its got a ways to go. I was going to use the water and everything from my old tank but I was fighting a losing battle with cyano so I deiced to start fresh.

All I have in it right now is a bit of cycle to get things going and I have to get some prime to get the skimmer going right. I used some water treatment to try and nuterlize the water and its making my skimmer kinda loopie but I am sure that it will settel down in a few days.

I am more then welcome to any ideas or advice that anyone has. I have never had a nano reef before and i am kina "green" when it comes to corals and what not as my last tank was really a fish only with live rock.

Also I am looking for a few ideas for fish. I know that with the small tank my options a a little more limited then they were with my 55 so please talk to me.

The wife is looking for clowns (3 or 4 percs if possable) and a host carpet or some kind and a couple others. I know that 5 or 6 will be the max that I can have in there so I am trying to get some that are hardy as long as they are not DAMNsels or chromis I would love to hear a few ideas.

Other then that here are some pics that I took about 5 mins ago. I know that the pics aren't the best but my good camera is out and will not be back for a week so these will have to do for now.Let me know what ya think.

DSCF3433.jpg

DSCF3432.jpg

DSCF3431.jpg

DSCF3430.jpg

DSCF3429.jpg

DSCF3428.jpg

DSCF3427.jpg

DSCF3426.jpg

Please don't mind the baby toys my daughter was playing just beofore I took them

thanks

Last edited:
What kind of lighting are you having? I am researching lighting, what works with what etc. so I thought I would ask. I like your tank so far :).

here is the light that I picked up

light3.jpg

light2.jpg

light1.jpg

I am not sure of the brand but it has 1 150 watt HQI metal halide bulb and 2 24 watt super antic t5 bulbs. I was going to go with a 250 watt but everyone told me that I would have heat problems so this is what i went with.

hope this helps ya

Back