The Perfect storm

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

Today my wife and I were out boating, minding our own business and all of a sudden it got dark.
They did predict severe weather but that is for Sissies.
Anyway, we figured we would head in so we packed up. tied up the inflatable and started the engines.
Of course, only one started. No noise on the other one.
On a nice day this would be no problem, I would have lifted the engine compartment, climbed in and found the problem but with the storm coming I figured I would fix it tomorrow.
We headed in on one engine which is no problem except there was no power steering and on a boat with two engines, it is almost impossable to steer trying to back into a slip. As we neared the dock I called the marina to get some help backing into my slip. There is another boat the same size as mine right next to mine and the wind was blowing right into that boat.
The marina said they would send someone to throw me a line and help pull the boat in.
As I got to the slip I told the marina I was one minute out. They said OK we will be there.
I pull in front of my slip with the one engine running and of course, no one there.
Now the sky opened up with torrential rain horrendous wind.
My slip is in a dead end so there is no where I could go.
I saw someone on the dock running and my wife called for help.
He came over and we threw him a line. We hit the piling with the back of the boat because I could not maneuver on the one engine but there was no damage. I managed to jump off and get a line around the front cleat and we pulled her in.
It was raining like I remembered in the monsoons in Nam.
You could not see your hand in front of your face.
We ran into the cabin to wait it out but it kept raining.
So we said the heck with it, we were in bathing suits and soaked anyway so we just left the boat and walked to the car.
No sense covering a wet boat because it will be hot and steamy when I get back there.
So tomorrow I will go back and fix whatever is wrong with the engine and dry the thing off.
This happens al the time in boating but as long as no one dies, it's all fun.
I went into the marina office to yell at them and I found out that their power went out along with their radios and they could not tell the dock boy where my boat slip was. (It's a large marina with hundreds of boats)
I did not collect anything today, but I got a bunch yesterday. :D
I

Back