The silver lining to avalanches

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
Bot a bunch of putty for locking stones together on reef construction, never got around to using it. Used peg supports for the main wall in the back, but for the front frag shelves, gravity and friction is good enough for me.:rolleyes:

Last weekend I traded some softies on rocks to a saltwater newby for some Science center passes. As usual, I got real aggressive in my generosity and chopped up a large Zoa colony at the base of a cave. Well, as you probably already concluded, it was a column to a shelf. Guess what, crash. Amazing how many tips can be crushed in a simple avalanche!:eek::mad:
Glad there was no kids within earshot of my basement for the next 4 hours:evil:

Used the demise as a chance to rearrange and it looks much better. Also got a bunch of small rocks plugging "holes" in the reef removed. Allows much better water flow. Used up a bunch of glue and everything is solidly in place. (until my next stupidity) Was also a good excuse to do some nice water change to clean up some of the chem warfare that happens with injured corals. All in all, looks pretty darn great, a lot better than I anticipated:p

Will snap some new pics with a couple days when the rest of the colonies are healed up.

Last edited:
Nice it was looking good before. It probally looks much better huh. You actully did a water change no way.

Mike I say we have a moment of silence.----------------- OK back to the matter at hand. Sorry to here that your hours of rock work came crashing down in a matter of seconds. I to, have had many of crashes. Trying to be generous and take off more then I should have. But thats OK we move on.
You know I'm beginning to think that less rock is better. I just lost a coral back behind my rock work and tryed to get it ( no luck ). The two/three rocks I remove and tryed to place back ( NOT ). Two things happend one they would'nt go back the way they were and the corals I knocked off trying to do so, just to save a coral that I was loosing sleep over.
Things are going to get worse. The more the corals grow out the harder it's going to get. Soon I wont be able to touch nothing. What sould we do.

Mike I say we have a moment of silence.----------------- You know I'm beginning to think that less rock is better... and the corals I knocked off trying to do so, just to save a coral that I was loosing sleep over...Things are going to get worse. The more the corals grow out the harder it's going to get. Soon I wont be able to touch nothing. What should we do.

You have no excuse with a huge frag tank and all. I'm using my display as a frag tank because I am too cheap to use the electricity to set up the 72 as one. Agree that we both have too much rock in our tanks. Guess as we snap corals playing with them, all the more to give to newbies:lol:

I feel for ya pal, That nice superman I had lost and have been looking for? Still missing! Ain't that the way it goes, no rest for the wicked:p

Sorry Mike, Im excited to see how it looks though. Its not very ofter that a guy likes the tank BETTER after rearranging it. Usually Im like, "MAN WHY DID I F WITH IT!??"

Sorry Mike, Im excited to see how it looks though. Its not very ofter that a guy likes the tank BETTER after rearranging it. Usually Im like, "MAN WHY DID I F WITH IT!??"

Brett, man did your post make strike a chord! Yeah, there was a lot of cussing going on, but afterwards; time to move on and look for the up-side.:) The best upside for me was seeing your reply, glad you are back!
Will take pics tomorrow, corals are already opening back up and cobering over the wounds.

Brett, man did your post make strike a chord! Yeah, there was a lot of cussing going on, but afterwards; time to move on and look for the up-side.:) The best upside for me was seeing your reply, glad you are back!
Will take pics tomorrow, corals are already opening back up and cobering over the wounds.

Thanks man, Im looking forward to seeing the pics :)

Mike - are you sure that you didnt subcontiously due it on purpose just for a reason to have you hands in the tank? I will tell you my trick. Build your own canopy that has no doors. that way you have to take the screws out to remove the front pannel. It keeps my hands out of the tank becuase it is such a pain in the you know what to remove the front piece. I hope all is well and your corals recover. Maybe you will get some wierd colloration as they heel?

PS. Tracy didnt loose that coral in his rock work. It mysteriously showed up in my tank!

Ok, so if I wanna rearrange everything and get some "new" stuff too, I gotta tell my husband I had an "avalanche"??? Is that the correct terminology?? :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Well at least you were able to get things back in a way that you liked it. I hate messing with my rockwork, with all the rock you have.....hmm....yeah...that would suck.

Heres a large picture of the tank. Only the center shelf "needed" fixing, but moved some of the larger corals around, and all the monti plates to the back.

Last edited:
I 2nd that. I dont see any ROCK with all that coral in the way.
STEVEN 11 I'm coming to get you with screwdriver in hand

Finn, lets carpool. I know its alot of lefts and rights. I always get lost going out to GODS country. I have some top secret tools for gathering ZOAS.
Plus I can get us in his house, I do it all the time. I could use your help trying to figure out his coffee roster ( them husk get a flying ).

Not as much rock as you would think, 50 gallons drained only drops the tank level a few inches. The tank is primarily 3 huge caves with a large sloped shelf on top. Looks better now, might have to do some good avalanches again...............................NOT!

Back