Thermometers? Coralife digital.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

alki

I heard that Dr Foster & Smith doesnt post bad reviews about the products they sell on their website. Below is my review I sent in to them after I figured out my coralife digital thermometers we peices of poop. I guess I just want to find out if anyone else has these problems or I am really one in a million. :rolleyes:
Also like to find out if anyone has seen negative reviews on foster smith and/or has posted negative ones and never saw them show up.

"Beware this product can lead to false readings. I have 3 of these. The first one I got said my water was 115 degrees. Well that was a easy one to figure out wasnt working. The next 2 I have been using in 2 different tanks. I thought they were both accurate and after getting my hands wet I could tell that one was WAY warmer than the other. It turns out one of them was gradually telling me it was cooler than it was. So I kept adjusting the heater and it turns out after using a REAL themometer that my water was at 87 degrees. NOT good.

After putting both in the same tank with an accurate mercury thermometer neither were correct. One was 3 degrees off and one was 8.

I dont recommend this to anyone unless you want inaccurate readings."

Good to know. I have two of these thermometers, I just stuck them both in the same tank. One reads 74 and the other reads 78 even though the sensors are side by side. I guess I need to find a known good thermometer to figure out if either of these are accurate.

Yikes 74 bucks!

I was wondering why my gorgonian wasnt coming out much. Also my green birdsnest wasnt coming out either. I think temp was my problem. We will see I guess.
Im going to go get some regular mercury ones. Their not as cool looking, but I would rather have live coral if ya know what I mean.

I guess I should have paid more attention to them after the one I got said 115. :eek:

Braddo, yea I would get something to test those against. They most likely are both off from the accual temp.

Last edited:
These particular digital thermometers are neither accurate nor precise. The one that I have is never correct, and it is not consistently off by the same number of degrees. I still have it on one of my tanks, but only to compareto a lab grade mercury thermometer that I have and use manually occasionally. And yes, I am very careful when I use the mercury thermometer.

Whwn I add seahorses to the tank, I will set up my dual stage Ranco controller instead.

G

I've read over a hundred horrible stories about Coralife digital thermometers. I have one also and it sux. I now use a $1 glass thermometer from Walmart, but will eventually get a dual stage Ranco controller

O.k. I hgave two of these.
After reading this thread I did a little experiment..
one reads 76.2
the other reads 77.2
and my cheap 1 dollar freashwater glass therm..w/ red fluid inside reads 79..
Which one is right????

Last edited:
I purchased the reptile one because it was like 4 dollars cheaper. I wonder if there is a difference between the two?

Myteemouse, My bet is on your cheap 1 dollar freshwater glass therm..w/ red fluid. You could allways take all three to your LFS and compare them to a few of their tanks.

so with that being said, I have to run my heaters during the day with all the lights on to keep it at 78..thats a good thing..
I don't have to hook up my chiller yet..

I'm really not a fan of not utilizing technology, but in the case of thermometers, I have found nothing can beat a good old glass ones. Cheap and reliable.

O.k. I hgave two of these.
After reading this thread I did a little experiment..
one reads 76.2
the other reads 77.2
and my cheap 1 dollar freashwater glass therm..w/ red fluid inside reads 79..
Which one is right????

There is potential for any thermometer or comtroller to be off. Test your thremometers by filling a cup with ice then cold water. Let it sit for a bit. The water will always be 32F.

Don

Guess I'm the only one around happy with all of my Coralifes. I have two on my main in different areas, in addition to a different brand digital, and a Johnson Controls A419 controller. They're all within 2 degrees of each other. Guess mine came from a good batch!

mine are within 2 degrees also but they are all different..
Thanks for the heads up don.. I'll give it a shot..

I've got a few thermometers they are all within two degrees of each other. Shame they are all 10+ degrees off. Never use a thermometer to check another.

Don

Back