Think like a fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

Yes I know it's a stupid concept but if we keep fish we should try to know whats going on in their head.
For instance, do they think? Are they awake? Do they feel fear? how about pain? Are they smart?
Do they recognize us? etc. Of course I don't know the answer to any of these questions but I have an idea about many of them. No I can't read their minds but I have spent quite some time with them in their home and in mine.
If you want to get to know fish, you have to hang out with them. You have to dive to do that, and I don't mean in a tourist resort where you swim along following a guide and he slows to point out a shark or moray eel. I mean lay on the sand for an hour or so near some interesting fish so they get to know you. Then see how they make their living.
If we know what they are supposed to do, where they prefer to live, what they like to eat, how they catch their food, what they are afraid of, how they find a mate etc. maybe we will be able to house them more comfortably where they will be less prone to stress which in a fish is a major cause for disease.
I found that when I go to a tropical location I don't follow the crowd. I ask a local where I can find a person with some equipment that I could rent and someone who can take me to a decent dive site where there are no tourists.
I always find a good dive site that way away from any crowd.

Amazingly, fish are not like us. Like Duh, A lot of people mix up what a fish "likes" and what we like. Fish also have more senses than we do. We have five but fish have six. They have what some people call a remote "feel". They can actually "feel" objects that they are not touching.
They do this through the lateral line. All fish have this, it is just more pronounced on some fish than others. It starts on the head near the eyes and if you look close you will see a definate line that goes all the way to the tail. This line is actually a bunch of nerves that allow the fish to feel much better than we can with our hands.
It also allows fish to school right next to each other without ever crashing. It lets them practically fly into a coral head at the slightest provocation without getting the slightest scratch. A fish can easily swim around a tank in total darkness and not crash into rocks or even the glass.
We all know how easy they can evade a net dragged behind them. A fish with one eye has no trouble at all and gets along just as well as a fish with both eyes.
This system works like all nerves on electricity. But it is preasure that activates the nerves in the first place. Some fish have evolved to use this electricity to stun pray like stargazers, and electric eels. Other fish use it to locate food under the sand like elephantnose fish and rays.
But all fish use it for navigation, like a GPS, OK maybe not.

This reminds me of a story. I used to go to work with a blind man. He was much older than I was but totally blind. I used to meet him on the train and it was hard for me to comprehend how he walked alone to the train from his home about 1/2 mile away.
When it would snow, Jimmy would not go to work. I just figured he was afraid of falling in the snow.
One day I had to go home with him to repair something in his house and I walked him home from the train. I had never been to his house so he led the way.
As we walked past about 15 homes, he suddenly turned to walk up his walkway to his home. I had to ask him how he knew this was his walkway.
He blew me away when he said that he could "hear" the trees. I said, "excuse me". He told me that there are five trees that we passed on his block. As we pass he could hear an echo from them. After the fifth tree it is fifteen steps to his house.
When it snows, he can't hear the echo's from the trees because the snow muffled the sound and he can't go out.

Jimmy got me to think about how fish sense their surroundings. Jimmy also had no trouble helping me get around in Penn Station when the lights went out.
Anyway, thats my fish story for today. And, No, I am not the God of fish. You would be amazed at the vast almost un believable amount of information I don't know

I think that fish can detect anything solid and being that the water they are in is in contact with their circulatory system through their gills, they can easily detect chemicals.

There are all sorts of things that keep me up at night, like HLLE. I have always wondered about this but I don't know if it is the preasure from the glass or the lack of preasure from schooling fish. In the sea tangs are always inches from another tang. They swim together, eat together, turn together, and watch TV together. A tang is never alone, except in a tank.
When we keep large animals like elephants and rhino's in a zoo they often go crazy from lack of interest. I wonder if tangs experience the same thing. They must feel totally lost to be the only one of their kind in a tank just feeling the presence of the glass instead of the reassuring feel of another tang.
Schooling is intrisically imbedded in a schooling fish and can never be erased.
We also feed our tangs completely alien food. They are used to scraping barely visable algae off rocks all day. Not just one or two barely recognizable things to eat. Their digestive systems are designed to process minute amounts of food continousely, not a full stomach of lettuce or some flakes.
I hope fish can't hate because they would surely hate us.

Fish Pain is another thing I wonder about. I personally do not think fish feel pain. I have two trains of thought on this. One is kind of spiratual. Why would a fish be designed to feel pain if it is an animal that almost always dies from being eaten alive? A fish in the sea never gets the chance to die of old age. They either suffocate on the deck of a ship, die on a hook or end up as a meal for a larger fish.
The other thought is that from years of observing these slimy things and catching them I learned a lot from their actions. Many times I have caught a flounder on a hook and threw it back because it was too small just to catch the same fish a few minutes later. Even if his mouth is ripped open. I would think an animal in pain would not try to eat for a while. I also remember having a hippo tang in my fish only days. I fed the hippo a worm and as he was trying to get the thing in his mouth a triggerfish ripped the worm out of his mouth along with his entire lower jaw.
The tang didn't even notice and kept trying to eat even though he could not bite anything. He eventually died but it didn't seem to bother him at all.
I have noticed this behavour many times. Even a shark that is ripped open will not even notice but will turn and circles and eat his own intestines. This does not sound to me like an animal that can feel pain.
I know they feel something, but pain? I don't think so.
Maybe love, happiness or hemhorrids but not pain

It’s like you said if we try to put it in terms that humans relate to it doesn’t translate well, it’s just because we only know what we know, not what the fish knows as far as instinct.

I believe they feel pain. As a recent incident in my own tank with a tang and anemone. Its probably not the same as the way we feel pain but I think any organism like that need to have that sense to protect it self.

The reason I asked about sensing the cretin materials is also a fishing thing. If a fish can detect things in its surrounding then why do they still swim into a gill net? Why when I’m just standing there do they run into my legs or side, in some cases hard enough to nearly knock your feet out from underneath you?

I recently read that schooling fish are constantly in "electrical" contact with 6 of their surrounding fish mates. So, each fish is connected to 6 other fish, which, in turn, are each connected to 6 other fish...etc.

This is how the entire school is able to behave as 1 unit. Amazing abilities!!!

It's always been though that Gold Fish have a 3 second memory span....Kinda like me! However, this myth has been debunked, and it's thought that they may actually have a 3 MONTH memory span and may even be able to "tell time."
http://nootropics.com/intelligence/smartfish.html

I remember years ago, when I was breeding Jewel Cichlids, Hemichromis bimaculatus.
Some scientist had published a research paper on their intelligence. Other scientists claimed it was bunk, so tried to disprove his theories. In doing so, it was realized that they were much more intelligent than even the original scientist had realized.

If a fish can detect things in its surrounding then why do they still swim into a gill net? Why when I’m just standing there do they run into my legs or side, in some cases hard enough to nearly knock your feet out from underneath you?

Good question but I think they get caught in a gill net because it is designed to be a fine filiment that the fish probably has trouble detecting. There is not mush mass to a gill net. If the net was made from thick rope, they would avoid it. They do also swim through grass beds while hitting the blades.
As for them hitting your legs I know what you mean. Many times when I disturb fish at night while I am diving they crash into me sometimes knocking off my mask. If it's a big fish, it is nerve wracking.
I guess the system is not perfect but sometimes fish get pushed into objects by other fish. I have seen fish crash into pilings because there were other fish next to them and to keep from hitting the other fish, they crash. Entire schools are pushed from side to side by predators and the inside fish either try to stop or crash.
I am only part fish so I don't know exactly how they feel, I can only surmise from observations.

and may even be able to "tell time."

And do algebra

Back