Thinking about starting again..?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgraeff

Jgraeff
Ok so i have a 75g tank sitting in my garage, with a 25g sump. I had it all set up for about 3 years had to move and sold mostly everything.

I have the majority of live rock in buckets sitting outside i tried selling it no one would take it around here so its basically all dead and nasty right now i was thinking if i boiled it and bought some new rock to seed it with it could work what are you thoughts on that?

I was thinking about investing in a light fixture and just letting it sit with the live rock for a few months to get that going and then start adding things.

I want to do some fish but mostly corals, lps, sps, and among other things. gradually.

I want to do everything right this time for equipment I'm thinking-

Tek 48" 8x54w i did 6x54 last time and i believe there is enough room for the extra bulbs
bubble magus nac7 cone skimmer ( open for suggestions)
2 vortech mp20s or 1 mp10 and 1 mp40 depending
mag 7 as return
refuge( live rock/ deep sand bed with mangroves among other macros

Here is one thing I'm considering to start it off i am thinking about using natural sea water, i go deep sea fishing a lot and i could fill up lots of buckets, at least during the curing time with LR only, what do you guys think?

i have an ro/di, but i have always had phosphate issues in the past.

I want to start with LR, and lights only at first and use my cheap power heads for water movement. for a few months then add protein skimmer, then vortechs, then maybe a few fish, clams, clean up crew.

am i missing anything? I'm up for all suggestions, i want to have great equipment but i don't want to spend a fortune either the cheaper the better but then again i want quality products.

I want to know exactly how to do this tank this time with a plan instead of winging it. Thanks in advance!

Ok so i have a 75g tank sitting in my garage, with a 25g sump. I had it all set up for about 3 years had to move and sold mostly everything.

I have the majority of live rock in buckets sitting outside i tried selling it no one would take it around here so its basically all dead and nasty right now i was thinking if i boiled it and bought some new rock to seed it with it could work what are you thoughts on that?

I've done that...works really really well.

I was thinking about investing in a light fixture and just letting it sit with the live rock for a few months to get that going and then start adding things.

Or Look into LEDs depending on your budget.

I want to do some fish but mostly corals, lps, sps, and among other things. gradually.

I want to do everything right this time for equipment I'm thinking-
you know it is never done up to your own standards after it is done...

Tek 48" 8x54w i did 6x54 last time and i believe there is enough room for the extra bulbs
bubble magus nac7 cone skimmer ( open for suggestions)
2 vortech mp20s or 1 mp10 and 1 mp40 depending
mag 7 as return
refuge( live rock/ deep sand bed with mangroves among other macros

I like the ATI fixtures for T5 or look into LEDS
I like SWC skimmers over the bubble magnus
They don't sell MP20's anymore so you are likely going with either the MP10's or MP40s. I use two of each on my 200 gallon cube.
Eheim 1262 > Mag 7 (Less noise and heat in the eheim)
I like the refugium idea.

Here is one thing I'm considering to start it off i am thinking about using natural sea water, i go deep sea fishing a lot and i could fill up lots of buckets, at least during the curing time with LR only, what do you guys think?

i have an ro/di, but i have always had phosphate issues in the past.

I want to start with LR, and lights only at first and use my cheap power heads for water movement. for a few months then add protein skimmer, then vortechs, then maybe a few fish, clams, clean up crew.

am i missing anything? I'm up for all suggestions, i want to have great equipment but i don't want to spend a fortune either the cheaper the better but then again i want quality products.

I want to know exactly how to do this tank this time with a plan instead of winging it. Thanks in advance!

I would avoid the NSW. Even harvesting from Deep water there are supplements you'll need to add, purification that still needs to be done etc etc. There are quite a few articles on this subject.

Im def. out of the loop on equipment now days ha.

Where are some good places to buy skimmers, lights, pumps etc.??

also what are the advantages of LEDs over T5?

and the NSW i was planning that would be the consensus.

I like premium aquatics or salty supply for online vendors. Barrier Reef also does business online here.

There are tons of threads covering the LED , MH, T5 debate.

Back