Thinking about upgrading =) opinions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeepfish

I've had my 14g biocube for about a year now and i'm thinking its time for an upgrade! Dont get me wrong, i've loved my biocube and has been a great tank for me and my needs(so far) but i'm running out of room,light and fans lol. So down to the good stuff, i'm looking at the innovative marine nuvo 30 or 38 aio possibly with there reef ready kit. Does any one own one of these or had experience with one? I've heard bad things about the lights so might just get the tank and go a different way with the lights,but i havent heard anything about the nuvos bigger then the 16g so a little nervous there too. Anyway im open to thought and ideas about what to get so tell me what you think

You know I don't see a skimmer with that setup......for the price you may be able to get some used stuff from fellow reefers on here and a larger tank. You know once you start going bigger you want to keep going bigger, it's part of the addiction we all have on here.

I agree w/Bill.

If space and lighting are the issue, i would consider going bigger.

Otherwise, you will be like me and have every size tank from 14 to 90.

After having my 90 up just over a year, I need more space.

I would love to go bigger, but right now my living sutuation leaves me with no room for much bigger then a 40 so thats what i am looking for. Really like the aio too for the same reason, i agree with both of you and bigger is always better when you can, but just dont have room.

Have yoou looked into having one of the LFS's build a custom tank for you ??? Both A Red C and Oceans by Design can do this, and you get exactly what you want.

Cheers, Todd

dident think about that todd thanks i'll have to put that in the options. Sounds spendy though any idea on cost for a smaller custom tank?

If space is an issue inside your tank, you could always make extra room by fragging. Make some money as well. Then you could get that custom tank from above mentioned and be more satisfied than a prebuilt. Understand bout goin bigger. Had a 55, bought a 448 but sold it, have a 215 but want bigger.

I think these Innovative marine nuvo 30 or 38 are awesome little tanks. Solana's are a nice AIO as well.

If you can fit a 40 gallon breeder you might consider it. The 40 gallon breeder is a step up in volume of water, they also give you a lot of scaping options.

I think I like the idea of getting used equipment from a reefer best. Just so happens I'll have a 65, stand and sump available at the end of the week. LOL JK My 65 isn't display worthy. There are a lot of more cost effective options than an AIO.

Last edited:
If you can fit a 40 gallon breeder you might consider it. The 40 gallon breeder is a step up in volume of water, they also give you a lot of scaping options.

i hadent really thought much about taking the plunge in to a real setup but, after looking at the classifides in here a little more plus petco has there dollar a gallon sale going again doing a 40g breeder with a diy or used sump seems fairly cost effective right now, or maybe a diy aio out of a 40g breeder

eww you will be seeing me before i make any decisions those tanks are goregous, and anyone else looking at this thread in the same boat as me needs to check out the oceans by design!

still looking at the nuvo talked to the guys over a BRA yesterday and they have sold a ton of then and say their awesome and have them for $399! so still dont know which direction im going to go yet, but thank you all for your input and idea's and will keep you all posted on which way i go

Back