thinking of removing my substrate

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kickside

Hey everyone I'm thinking of removing my substrate. I have less than one inch in the tank is a 38 gallon tank. what would be the best way to do it??

Could I just take everything out and keep it in rubber maid tubs while I take all the substrate out? or should I do it slowly?

i would remove it slowly to give your live rock time to catch up to the bioload. i would saw a few weeks time of removing a little bit at a time.

I have a bit deeper sand to thin than you so I am using the WC schedule to siphon sand and filth from the bottom. I pull half to a whole gallon ziplok bag a cycle. Let the sand settle for a few hours in a bucket so you snails and crabs can pop out.

I have a bit deeper sand to thin than you so I am using the WC schedule to siphon sand and filth from the bottom. I pull half to a whole gallon ziplok bag a cycle. Let the sand settle for a few hours in a bucket so you snails and crabs can pop out.

I agree with this method.

Yeah this way sounds interesting
every time I do a water change from now on, I will siphon the substrate out

Back