Thinking of setting up a frag tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gas4544

Montipora Keeper
My wife, Julia, and I have two tanks up an running. They are my 30-gallon custom AIO acrylic montipora tank and Julia's Oceanic 30-gallon seahorse tank. My monti tank has been up and running since September and it is stuffed. Julia's seahorse tank is cycled and almost ready to add ponies.

We also have a 75-gallon Oceanic RR tank that we plan to set up as an SPS tank. I have acquired all of the equipment we need for the 75-gallon tank. But first priority is to get the seahorse tank stocked.

Julia has embraced and encouraged my passion for reefing. I have a history of successful reefing and thoroughly enjoy it. Julia's job may go away soon as her company is struggling financially. Also, we are planning to have our first child soon.

Last night, we started to kick around the idea of setting up a frag tank in the garage to generate some extra income. This would not be a full-blown business, just a side venture.

I know that some of you have frag tanks and that you are producing beautiful, high-quality coral frags and colonies for sale and trade. I have some questions for you folks.

1. What were your start-up costs for setting up a frag tank?

2. How much did you invest in your initial stock of coral for propagating, fragging and selling coral?

3. What do you wish you had known when you first started your business venture of propagating and selling coral?

4. If you were to do this, what types of coral would you propagate and why?

We would like to learn from your experience, insight and wisdom. We realize that this would be hard work and that generating a profit would be challenging. Feel free to tell us the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thank you for you responses. I am sure that we will have other questions as this thread grows.

Gary and Julia :)

Back