this is a matter of life and death

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dj tryrd

dj tryrd
ive always wanted to say that! but seriusly down at mcarthur beach state park ,aka best park in the world, they did a full water change on the seaturtle tank and i heard that they had to wear gas masks and through all the equipment out because of deadly cyano bacteria! i did some research and it seems most cyano isnt dangerous , i just want to know if the maroon/purple gooey cyano i have in my tank will kill me . it hasnt yet but you never know freak accidents happen

The Blue-Green Algae (Cyanobacteria) named from latin for blue, NOT as in cyanide gas. Quite harmless and rather tasty on shrimp with a little garlic

If you take a heavy enough rock covered in cyno bacteria and drop it off a freeway overpass through someones windshield, it could be dangerous.

If you take a heavy enough rock covered in cyno bacteria and drop it off a freeway overpass through someones windshield, it could be dangerous.

:lol: tht's funny :lol:

or maybe if you had a big pile of dried cyano in your house and it caught on fire

some forms of it are toxic....

http://www-cyanosite.bio.purdue.edu/cyanotox/cyanotox.html

I doubt that any of the species we encounter in our tanks are overly toxic, but you never know. I have not heard of a case of a reefkeeper getting poisoned by cyanobacteria. However, that is all the more reason to wear gloves when working in your tank, you never know what you may be exposed to. And as Don said, try to avoid smoking it, eating it, ect....:lol:

MikeS

thanks for all the replies . i did some more research and thier have been documented reputable reports about cows being poisoned by freshwater cyano. also spirolina is a type of cyano. and dont worry i wont eat, smoke,set on fire, or anything else you can think of doing to it that'd be bad for my health . although dropping it on someones head does sound good . stevo if your reading this post and do this on your show i want a cut of the dough. lol thanks all dj tryrd

time flies like an arrow , fruit flies like a banana.

Back