Thoughts about pairs of Hawfishes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

PCIALF

Thoughts about pairs of Hawkfishes

I have a nice Flamehawk and a Longnosehawk in my mixed reef and have been seeing some talk about keeping these maybe in pairs. Can I comfortably add another of each to the tank if they are smaller

thanks

Last edited:
usually *hawks* from different species dont work together....... i wouldnt try it but test your luck.

the longnose hawks are rather easy to keep in pairs... flames are not much harder.

But any/all attempts MUST be done by testing their tolerance for each other in a divided QT tank (not the display where if wrong... both are stressed and one dies).

Anth-

aaron23 said:
usually *hawks* from different species dont work together....... i wouldnt try it but test your luck.
aaron I have a Flame, Longnose and a Pigmy Hawk all in a 120 with no issues at all. I was contemplating adding another small longnose and flame

thanks Anthony I appreciate the answer

well depending on how big of a tank you have.... and how big the hawks are didnt know you had a 120.

I have a Flame Hawk, He's the tank pain in the you know what!
I like'em for some strange reason though. It's brilliant red color and wise guy personality has grown on me. But, I would never add another. :lol:

Check'em out.

Tom C

butterflies are indeed risky of most all but the strictly planktivorous species of which your longnse is not of that group ;)

Some longnose BFs are well behaved long enough... but many will nibble on somethign desirable.

Before they do that however, they usually suffer attrition or intimidation from being placed inappropriately in tanks with assertive Zebrasoma tangs, mean damsels... wicked wrasses, etc :(

Back