Thoughts on protein skimmer idea for 29g?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

Looking for opinions on my simple design and how to build it right. I'm planning on adding sump to my tank (actually making my 29 into a sump and getting another 29 that I'll drill overflows into as my tank). I was thinking of going with airstones for the sake of simplicity and cost. How much airstone and how big an air pump would y'all suggest?

I'm thinking 6, maybe even 8 inch diameter and about 20ish inches tall. That should more then handle my tank if I do this right. I was going to feed the skimmer directly from teh overflow of the tank. I'm planning on using my fluval 304 (emptied once I get all of my LR) for the return pump. I figure I can keep the overflow flow low and the fluval won't move too much water back up to the tank giving my water lots and lots of time in the skimmer.

I'm thinking either using PVC or building a square box. Here again, cost is the factor otherwise I'd go with an acrylic tube...but that can't be cheap!

Well, that's the start of this idea, thoughts?

Welcome to RF! One of the staff members here at RF BigT, builds skimmers and maybe he can give you some ideas. He's a very nice and helpful person who I'm sure can get you heading in the right direction. In addition to that, there are a lot of other gifted craftsman's here who I'm sure would love to give you some advice. Good luck! and welcome again...

O.k. the needle wheel is the way to go. What about the rest?

Is having something 6 or 8 inches in diameter doable or should I just do 6 inches (or even 4) and save myself some heartache? Is PVC going to work similarly to acrylic (I'm sure it won't be as pretty)? Are the needle wheel pumps noisy? Is there a local shop that sells needle wheel pumps? Would it just be cheaper to buy something already built? It certainly would not give me the satisfaction. I'm trying to save some pennies AND get a good skimmer so I can get some lighting on this tank already.

Back