Thoughts on Reef Breeders Photon 48 LED?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefGeeker

reefbreeders

So here is an LED fixture I have been considering. It is a 48" unit that comes with controller and 102 3 watt LEDs of which you can customize your layout and its a very reasonable price ($500) and finally I would only have to buy one because its 47 inches long. What is good about this unit and what is not so good? Does anyone have any personal experience with any of the photon series lights from reef breeders?

Barrier reef and Red C both sell them. Lots of people use them with good results. The only difference between the ones reefbreeders sells and barrier reef is that the led ratios and colors are a little bit different. I'v seen the same photon series down at barrier reef and the value leds are Red C being used on frag tanks. Give them both a call and ask what they think about them, that is where you are going to get the widest range of results because they have to keep all different types of corals under those same leds.

They are actually about to have their group buy so if you want to save even more money find their add on their site or on a forum.

Really when it comes down to between Reef Breeders, Barrier Reef and Red C, its all about what ratio of colors you want. I believe all three use the same base Evergrow LED platforms (I know Reef Breeders for sure is) and just customized here

I would ask everyone locally about being to customize the fixtures.
Ad Oceans By Design to your list.

Ok so Red C, Barrier Reef, and Oceans by Design sell these fixtures with different combos of LEDs? I knew OBD has their Helios fixtures (which I don't see on their website anymore) but they sell these too? I haven't seen many (if any) people running these fixtures on here for all of these local companies selling them.

Well I called around and it seems nobody local sells this 48" version so I am pretty set on getting this from reefbreeders at this point unless someone local sells this same 48" version. Here is the stock layout of the Photon 48, I would like some opinions on whether or not to change it up a little bit perhaps add a few greens, mix up the whites, or change the white to blue ratio? I am thinking that the 120 degree optics will be the way to go as I plan on having this about 5" off the water due to my canopy. If some led guru's would chime in here it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Photon 48.jpg
    Photon 48.jpg
    34 KB
Oh here are the colors/whites they have to choose from that are not included in the stock layout.

Colors
520nm Green
660nm Hyper red

Whites

Hmm I am looking at the layout and it seems it doesn't match what it says it comes with, it was a mixed up when I downloaded it perhaps I will see if I can correct it. Anyways you get the jist of how they are arranged.

Ok so I talked to the guy a reef breeders and he said the confusion was created because they did not update the product description after they changed the layout to add more 450nm. Also I think I will just try the stock layout he said it was a 14k look at 100% on both channels.

Hey did you end up ordering these? How are they? Pictures? I'm thinking about picking one up for my 90. Thanks

I bought the 24" reefbreeders fixture awhile back and I love them. Only use them over my 46 gallon bowfront and max I go is 45% whites and 65% blues. Love them so much I just ordered a 48" fixture to go over my 55 gallon in my office. Can't beat them for the price.

Cool, do you have any pictures? I am considering either the photon 48 or a couple of evergrows. The main difference seems to be the color layout. How do you like the color layout? Any colors you feel there should be more or less of? Thanks

I just got the email today my 48" fixture is shipping. Yay!

That's funny cause I just got that SAME e-mail...WOOHOOO!!! Can't wait to get it going, but I have been happy with the 24" fixture that I do have right now over my 46 bowfront. The remote control was a huge sales point for me.

Been off the forum for a while, ill have to post up some pics been busy buying a house now that that's over I can pay more attention to my tank.

Back