Tiatanium Ground Probe use?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
I won a Vertex Aquaristix Titanium Ground Probe this weekend at OBD barbeque and I don't know to much about it. I know that it picks up stray voltage from the electrical equipment in the water, that can lead to problems with fish health. Does this go into the sump or the tank, or does it matter? Any information would be appreciated.

Hey, you lucky guy, how you doing Earl, so I have one of those and the probe is in my sump, if I understand correctly it routes stray voltage to ground trought probe, I did some readings before and after probe install and it works, also congrats on your new led lights

Thanks Carlos, the lights do look pretty cool. My son rigged up a rack that the lights are attached to, and then it is suspended from the hood. I wasn't sure if the probe had to be installed in the tank or sump. I guess since there is a constant flow of water, it is all connected. I will put it in tomorrow. Thanks man. I am doing fine, just still getting use to the living out in the country, don't really know if this is my thing. I do enjoy the ability to go out to the garage and work on stuff and the house is air conditioned, fat guys like that.

Hi! I recently installed a titanium ground probe on my system after finding a voltage leak (4 volts!). You may place the probe into the sump or DT; either one. Saltwater is extremely conductive and because you have flow connecting the two, the voltage will travel.

I installed mine in the sump and after, checked via the DT: all voltage was gone.

Also, kudos on winning!

Hi! I recently installed a titanium ground probe on my system after finding a voltage leak (4 volts!). You may place the probe into the sump or DT; either one. Saltwater is extremely conductive and because you have flow connecting the two, the voltage will travel.

I installed mine in the sump and after, checked via the DT: all voltage was gone.

Also, kudos on winning!

Thank you, in the sump it goes. I don't think I have any stray electricity. My son is bringing out a multimeter and I will check it out. I will put it in either way.

Back