Time to share my tank tragedy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

makeme1098

Reader
Well, there are good and bad. Some simply amazed.
I got back from a business trip last Sat. to find my tank milky white. First thing I noticed is that water level in the tank was pretty low. That explains what cause the equipment failuer #1. Damn, JBJ ATO punked out on me. #1 failuer caused equipment failuer #2, which is Oct BH300f skimmer. Because of the low water level in the display tank, the skimmer was not syphoning in enough water to run property or not running at all. Which caused one of the internal pumps in the skimmer to fry. Since I keep 2 heaters and Rancho Temp. contorller in the last chamber of my skimmer and there was no water flowing through, my display tank temp. was at 59 when I came home. I am not sure how long the temp was that low. To be honest, I almost just gave up on doing anything about the tank. I got back to Seattle at 630 am after 9hr flight with bad jet lag. The last thing i wanted to do was to deal with the dying tank. I was 100% sure that everything was goner. So i just did 10% water change and ran carbon and brought the temp back to 77. During that time, I watched the Gators getting spanked by the Tides (Fire Steve Addazio)and my day was not getting any better. I avoided to look at my tank until tonight. I lost some pieces i've had for 3 years but there were more good than bad. All my fish survived. All my clams survived. Only loss were the following: 3yr old green slimer, 3yr old Seattle Blue Sparkler, Green Tabling Acro, Blue Bottle Brush, amd Blue Mille.

My point is SCREW JBJ ATO!!!

Yea, so far. looks like one more water change tonight and water chem stability, I think I can bring my tank back.

Wow - your critters went on an Antarctic excursion...and lived to tell the tale. I would've thought 59F for any length of time would be much more deadly. Amazing how resiliant our reefs can be!

Wow, amazing that your fish survived!
Thank you for sharing your story. I have been in the market for ATO's and was looking at the JBJ's. I'll keep looking...

yea, it's crazy huh? I thught it was 100% goner. Looks like some of the pieces are showing a sign of recovery. I see some PE. I need to get me a new ATO unit. I don't trust the JBJ any more. any recommendation?

It's nice to see another Gator on this board and a Nole. I know there is one Tide here too. I say fire Steve Addazio before he ruins the the offense.

Back