Tips with under the current weather

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lionhead

Need tips when the weather gets bad.. Power outages.. When the snow falls hard on us this winter..

What am i to do to keep my livestock alive?

If you cannot afford to invest in a generator right now, get a power inverter. I have one that has saved my reef during power outages. But a generator is a better alternative, if you can afford it. Search Craigslist for deals.

Dont know much about what to look for in a generator.. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking at?

bought me a 4000 watt generator at schucks for 275.00 last year. they seem to run the specials this time of year. mine will run my complete 50 reef and a couple of lights in the living room. best investment ever.

In the event of a power outage, you have two main issues - gas exchange and temperature.

The best approach when money is available is a generator and a transfer switch.

The poor man's approach is a battery-operated air pump and a blanket.

I have an air pump that plugs into a normal outlet. When the outlet goes dead (power outage), the air pump turns on and sends air theough two airstones in the tank.

If you expect a prolonged power outage to result in significant loss of temperature in the room, covering your tank with blankets will keep it from cooling down as quickly.

The best approach mentioned above will keep everything as close to normal as possible. The poor man's approach will at least buy time and allow you to make it through reasonable power outages.

Back