To clean or not and best way?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

divealso

Should I clean my sand substrate between water changes and if so, what is the best way to clean it. I have some bryopis growing in the sand and want to get rid of it.

I always clean my sand during the water changes, since i only do about 5-10 gal water changes a weekend. I just use my gravel vac-line and just stick it into the sand and just do this around multiple places and it seems to keep it cleaner.

Welcome to RF Divealso!
If it's a DSB (deep sand bed) you're not supposed to clean it. If it's a shallow (eye candy) sand bed, you can use a gravel vac to clean it, pulling out the water that you replace in your water changes.
Manually removing the biopsis infested sand is the best method to get rid of it. I've done this by scooping it out with a net. If the aquarium is newly established then I'd recommend just trying to get out as much as possible by hand as frequently as possible and just hang in there. These things tend to pass if you are dilligent.

I have read these threads. I am trying to raise my magnesium now. It started at 1100. I am raising it slowly. Currently at 1240. I have been raising it for about 5 days. It seems stuck there for a couple of days. I checked my calc and alk--they are normal.
I don't want to raise it too fast, but want to get rid of byropsis. The GHA I have is being worked on by a sea hare and a bunch of hermit crabs.
Sand bed is from 1/2 to 1" deep.

Back