To drill or not to drill, that is the question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shogun97

I'm trying to decide if I should drill my tank or purchase and external overflow. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on which I should go for. I can pick up the external units pretty cheap on ebay or my lfs can drill the tank, put in an overflow and bulkhead for 150.00. Is that price decent? Also how much flow will I need?

Thanks

B

Oh I guess I should haev mentioned that...its a glass 90 gallon tank

IMO it is all a personal opinion... You tend to have more options with drilling as you can customize how you want things in terms of design, size and so forth, but hang-on's can do the job just as well so you'll have to make the call as to what works best for you. I've tried both ways and both worked well for me. As for how much flow, it all depends on what you want to accomplish with the sump (ie will it hold a macro etc) but for me on a tank that size, I'd shoot for about 800 gph depending on the sump size. Just my 2 cents:)

hard to drill glass and its "one shot" deal.

I would think $150 is a little pricey for an overflow. OHH and have them drill it.

May not be bad

Thanks guys! yeah I thought 150 was a bit much too....I'm leaning towards the external overflows I think it might be a little easier to not have to take the tank over to the lfs.

For a sump I was thinking of grabbing a 30 gallon glass tank and making my own...I saw a really cool link someone posted with adjustable baffles using some type of plastic weather stripping (or something like that)

Krish I didn't plan on putting anything in the sump as of yet...I'm still doing my best to learn all I can from you guys.....Is there something I should have in there....and BTW you are awesome everytime I post you on top of it within mins

Thanks again

If you're willing to risk having the glass drilled, then I'd say go with that. I've never paid to have a glass tank drilled, so I don't know how good a price that is.
In my experience (which is not as vast as some other members here) a reef ready tank with a durso standpipe is much safer than external overflow boxes. I've used both the U-tube style and the continuous siphon (CPR) style and only so-so luck with them restarting consistantly. I definately wasn't ever comfortable with them, so I ended up spending more money (that I should have spent in the first place) on a reef ready tank and moved everything.

Thanks lizard! The thought of a flood has been pecking away at me too so I hear what you are saying. I guess only time will tell. Does anyone else have any experiences with either of these methods?

Krish I didn't plan on putting anything in the sump as of yet...I'm still doing my best to learn all I can from you guys.....Is there something I should have in there....and BTW you are awesome everytime I post you on top of it within mins

Thanks again

LOL!! RF owners pay me tons to do it:lol: Joking:p As for the sump, you have so many options. The fact that you will be adding a 30 gal sump for starters (even if nothing is in there but water) will help out quite a bit as the more water volume you have the more stability your system will have. Also, you will have more circulation with water draining into the sump and being returned to the tank via a retrn pump to that is always a plus! Most people just use their sumps to keep equipment like probes, skimmers, heaters and so forth out of sight rather than in the tank. Others however, will use their sumps as a place to keep a macro algae like chaeto to help with nutrient export and so forth. It all depends on what you want though...No one way to go about it. I've never kept any "algae's" in my sump, just my skimmer, phosban reactor and carbon and was all I needed it for. I guess you'll have to figure out what your system lacks (if anything) and maybe incorporate it there in the sump. Whatever ideas you may have, let us know so we can help direct you. Now going back on the overflow, if you like the idea of a hang on and rather drilling, then I'd go for it. If it ends up not working out the way you want, you can always drill later, but I'm sure it will be sufficient. If you don't like the look, you can also DIY something to sort of hide the overflow. I had a cover made out of matching blue acrylic to hide my CPR overflow I had on my 75gal and it was a lot more applealing that way for me, than seeing a black overflow. Here are a few pics showing it on my old 75gal:)

Does anyone else have any experiences with either of these methods?

I've tried the U-Tube type, drilled and and CPR. My thoughts on them were...

The U-Tube type like this http://www.globalpets.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=24C20000-997275745 works well. They will restart everytime without the need of anything extra. The only time the overflow looses it's siphon is if you pull the U-tube out. Very reliable, but takes up a bit of space in the tank, fish can easily go for a ride into the back compartment (if small enough) and can be a bit noisey. I had to mess with it a bit to try and quiet down the one I had, but eventually got it:)

The CPR http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=CS100&Category_Code=CPROverflow I swapped to this one as it takes up virtually no space in the tank and also, keeps out basically all fish. This one however needs either an aqualifter http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...e=M3-AQUALIFTERPUMP&Category_Code=CPROverflow to help keep the siphon (which I suggest a few extras incase it crops out as it happened to me before) or a powerhead. This type of overflow is quieter IMO, just not as reliable where keeping a siphon is concerned. If you will keep spare aqualifters on hand or use a reliable powerhead strong enough to keep the siphon, then I like this one:)

Then the drilled one I did as well on my old 38gal. By far my favorite!:D Very quiet, very efficient and never need a thing to keep the siphon. :)

Attachment 1 shows my overflow on the acrylic tank

Attachment 2 shows how Martin (Finn) did it on his 180 gal ( Ithink that's the size) glass tank:)

I'd always wondered what the deal there was when I'd looked at old pics of your tank Krish. that's not bad.
did you use an aqualifter pump with the CPR overflow?

LOL:p Yeah...I hid everything. The attachments below show how I hid the plumbing for a closed loop I did on that tank as well with the blue acrylic. As for the aqualifter, yeah..I used a couple(LOL) Had a few burn out on me so always kept atleast 3 spares:)

You guys are the best I swear!! So now what about plumbing? for a basic set up what would I need....Is it just a straight tube that runs into the sump? or is there some type of check or shut off valve inbetween? Return pump size? type of nozzle ? I don't even know what I am asking anymore ahahha

Wishful thinking but krish do you have any pics of the plumbing on your 75?? That setup is pretty much what I'm going for being first timer

Wishful thinking but krish do you have any pics of the plumbing on your 75?? That setup is pretty much what I'm going for being first timer

Definately...Here it is all plumbed in and you don't need any check valves. The overflow will only drain what is being pumped into the tank so if the pump is turned off, the water will not drain down the overflow anymore until the pump is turned back on. The only thing that needs some sort of provisions is the return line. Most people will drill a small hole right below the water line in their return spout so when the power is cut to the return pump, once that hole is exposed to air, it will break the siphon otherwise that return line will continue to drain water until the head of the nozzle is above water level. Some people use check valves, but they need to be maintained so drilling a hole to break the siphon is mostly used. K...Here's how mine worked...:)

Here is a shot of the CPR overflow hanging on the tank. The little pump sitting on top is the aqualifter and all it does is suck water out of a tiny nipple on top of the overflow and drains it back out the other end.

This shot shows how much space it all takes up inside and outside of the tank

Now this shot shows the beginning of the drain which you can see to the back of the overflow to the bottom. All you'd need is a piece of hose, flex spa whatever to attach to the overflow and go to the sump. The flex hose you see I used there was this http://www.globalpets.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=175C0000-953663625 but regular hose will do as well just make sure use clamps.

This shot shows how water enters the sump. This was my sump before I expanded it. Real simple design, but I used a bulkhead with a piece of pvc pipe in it so I could attach the hose. Some people will even just rest the hose in their sump and that's it, but I like things a bit neat so I used the bulkhead. On the other end of the bulkhead in the sump, I went to a straight piece of pvc pipe with a Tee on the bottom (rather than the elbow you see) which prevented any noises from water entering the sump. I can fetch a pic of that as well if you need to see it:)

Now all you need to do is to get water back to the tank. This shot shows my return pump and the return line which was just regular vinyl hose I clamped onto the pump (if you are wondering why the sump looks different here, it was taken after I expanded it, but this was the best shot to see the return pump:) ) On the other end of the hose, I used a sea swirl for randon flow, but a simple return nozzle you can buy is this http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...uct_Code=SQUID-UTUBE&Category_Code=Wavemaking It comes with the hole already drilled as well to break the siphon so you just attach your hose to it and you're done. Let me know if that helped:)

Last edited:
Wow Krish I dig your set-up. I run the same style overflow on my 55, have for about two years with no problems. My overflow is rated for about 600 gph if i remember right. I have a mag 7 running the return out of my sump (10 gal) it pumps up almost 4 and half feet to the tank so I lose a little there (might go with a 9.5). The only thing I did different is I had to put a ball valve on the line from the overflow to the sump. I helped quiet my "gruggling" sound. In my opinion this method is pretty easy and cheap.

So just thought I would share.........................oh also if possible I would try to find a black acrylic overflow. That way alge won't build up in it as fast:) Keep on keepin on

YOu can buy the drill bit on ebay for $5.95 and drill it yourself, its not hard. 2-3 minutes with water flowing over the are with light pressure and you are done.

k how do you get the siphone to start on that pipe on the right?

the one that goes over the glass, and has a service tube on top?

Wow Krish I dig your set-up.

Thanks!! I miss it a bit:doubt: I took it down to save space for the new addition to our family and went smaller, but it's cool:)

k how do you get the siphone to start on that pipe on the right?

the one that goes over the glass, and has a service tube on top?

Not sure which one you mean Jon:oops: Which pic are you referring to? Do you mean the ones in the attachment for the closed loop I hid? If so, you remove that cap on the top of the plumbing, pour water down it until all the plumbing fills with water and then put the cap back on and you're good to go. I'll find my thread on that build:)

Back