To lid, or not to lid?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slate

So I am going to be making my final decision on a T5 light fixture and ordering next week. Most manufacturers say to keep them protected from water so I am wondering if you all use glass lids on your tanks to protect them or if you just say screw it and leave your systems open. I am a fan of the idea of an open tank for gas exchange with the water surface. So any testimonials of experiences with T5 fixtures over open water would be wonderful(both pros and cons please).

Thanks,
Shane

Unless you have fish that specifically require a lid, such as an eel, I wouldn't put a lid on. They cause a few problems.

#1. they get salt creep on them, very quickly, which degrades the amount of light that gets into the tank. They have to be kept crystal clear at all times to keep from effecting the light's ability to penetrate.
#2. they trap Co2 and reduce the amount of oxygenation, which drops your pH levels.
#3. they trap heat in the tank. With reef tanks, heat is already a constant issue. No need to add to it.

I put t5's about 3 or 4 inches off the water, just keep them clean. Otherwise open top because as mentioned above reasons.

On my old 180, kept my VHOs within a few inches of the water. Wiped them down once a month or two. They were all used up by the time any scale had built up. Make sure no major water spray toward wiring/clips at ends

Back