to seal or not to seal, that is the question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyTemple

Hi all,

My hubby and I built a bench, cabinet for our fuge. We stained it over the past couple of days to get it to a nice dark mahogany. Here is the question, do we need to seal it? I'm concerned about moisture in the air influencing the chemicals which went into the wood, but am I just being overprotective? What do you think? :rolleyes:

yes very good Idea. at some point you will get condensation and it will rot if you dont seal it.

i literally just finished staining my stand an hour or more ago...i am going to seal my stand tomorrow...being around water like that all the time, i just want to be sure..the wood could swell if it gets wet or the finish could be affected.. i would definately seal it!!! i am using a satin finish.. i dopn't want it to be shiny

Def seal. If you do not that nice stain job will be gone in no time. You will also have rot issues mentioned above

sealing will keep it together longer (i dont mean literaly) but sealing will prolong the life of the wood

Shauna, like someone said above, if you want to keep it, stain it. People sometimes even go the extra route and put a caulk in the corners and use heavy duty paint on the insides to keep wood in good shape. If you want it to last keep it protected my oppinion.

I used Varathane to seal my stand. Be sure to read the fine print, i.e. apply and let dry when the temperature is > 55 degrees or you'll get a mess on your hands.

I've also used teak oil in the past.

Back