Too blue?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cyberdeth

I am now running 1x250 MH 20k and 4x39w T5 HO's. Tank is blue of course. Is it too blue for proper growth of corals?

TIA!

-CD :)

"Super Actinic" works. If they were in the 10K range, it'd make up for some of the blue from the 20K MH bulb. As it is, you sure do have a lot of blue...lol. I don't know that it'll harm your corals at all, I doubt it, but it will give you slower growth than a lower K rating.

"Super Actinic" works. If they were in the 10K range, it'd make up for some of the blue from the 20K MH bulb. As it is, you sure do have a lot of blue...lol. I don't know that it'll harm your corals at all, I doubt it, but it will give you slower growth than a lower K rating.

Cool. Thanks. I am about to turn 40, so things in the tank will be slowly playing the back 9 with me. ;)

I am now running 1x250 MH 20k and 4x39w T5 HO's. Tank is blue of course. Is it too blue for proper growth of corals?

TIA!

-CD :)

no it's not too blue for coral growth. ...and more particularly, what corals?
if anything worst case scenario, some of your sps might not color up/grow the same, but most others will be just fine, if not flourish.
they care more about flow, water purity, and elemental balance, and being fed IMO....
on my last lps tank, I had a t5 fixture w/ all blue bulbs, it looked badass,
and the corals grew, polyped, fed just the same as they appeared to under combined white and blue light.

I can imagine some SPS species indigenous to the fore-reef aren't going to like that as much though.

and WTF??? 40 IS the new 20.... keep tellin yourself that, it works 4 me.

Last edited:
no it's not too blue for coral growth. ...and more particularly, what corals?
if anything worst case scenario, some of your sps might not color up/grow the same, but most others will be just fine, if not flourish.
they care more about flow, water purity, and elemental balance, and being fed IMO....
on my last lps tank, I had a t5 fixture w/ all blue bulbs, it looked badass,
and the corals grew, polyped, fed just the same as they appeared to under combined white and blue light.

I can imagine some SPS species indigenous to the fore-reef aren't going to like that as much though.

and WTF??? 40 IS the new 20.... keep tellin yourself that, it works 4 me.

Just doin' softies and some lps. Sounds like it will be fine.

Just getting my last frag off to college at the end of this year. Wish I felt like I was 20! :)

I just switched all my lights in my tank to a more blue look. I was running 2 250W MH with Current USA 10k bulbs and 4 54W Current USA T5s (two 420nm and two 460nm). I replaced my MH bulbs with Reeflulx 20Ks and all my T5s to Blue Life 420nm (purple). I have to say not only do I see better color in my corals but everyone seems fat and happy, better than before. My tank is mostly LPS and softies but I have a few SPS. My birdsnest SPS is growing super fast under these lights.

Back