Too many bubbles in the water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

depeche

I was reading up on skimmers last night and ran across someone that was trying to reduce the amount of bubbles that the skimmer would discharge into the tank. He was worried about it affecting the animals. I didn't think that there was any reall risk of having a lot of bubbles in the tank. I like a lot of bubbles and I usually inject air into the powerheads to get some.

My question is, are there any known problems that this can cause to reef inhabitants?

Thanks for any advice!

I've heard the same thing and besides it doesn't look the greatest IMO, I don't think the fish like it for some reason. The reason I think people like to inject bubbles into their tanks was on the assumption that it gives the tank more oxygen. However, I think the main purpose as used in bubble wands etc. is just to create surface aggitation where gasses can be exchanged (if I've learned anything (LOL) I'd wait to get a more definate answer from someone more experienced to give you more of a scientific explanation. I know for a fact it isn't good, but a definate reason, I'm not sure. Good luck.

I used to inject air into my PH's for the reason mentioned by Krish....all it did was create a ton of salt creep.....

Irratation for corals would be the main one, also with all that LR in thier you will being traping pockets of air which will kill any area it sits on.

Mike

My surge tank (33g) cycles every 90secs to 2min throughout the day. It starts with a blast of bubbles as it clears the air from the line.

I have seen no ill effects from the tank being filled with bubbles on a regular basis.

Also any shallow water reef in the wild, will have a constant supply of bubbles coming from the wave action breaking over/across the reef.

Its pretty amazing that after the surge goes off, and shutting off all the tank circulation that hours later bubbles will still be rising to the surface of the tank.

Dave B

Back