too much light?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

randymon

About 8 mos. ago I upgraded from a 3 yr. old 55 to a 125 gal. tank. The lighting also was upgraded from 200 watts of pcs to 640 watts of vhos. Some of my corals like the brighter light better,( toadstools and finger leathers ) but most of my other corals still wont open fully, zoos, frogspawn, mushrooms, etc. Could it be I have too much light for thes corals? They do sit at the bottom of the tank. I have tryed moving them around a couple times but no change. These corals did awesome in my 55.

i think that could be the case..i just moved a bunch of shrooms and yellow polyps..they were under a 96w pc bulb..they wouldn't open fully...they used to open up when they were in my deep tank and the light wasn't as intense...i just put them under a regular flourescent bulb..they are open fully now...maybe you could try putting them under a ridge or something where the light doesn't hit them directly

I agree with Ron...Some people put their corals that don't require as much light under a ledge to limit it some. Also, did you acclimate the corals slowly to the new lighting? If not, then they may just need time to adjust. Good luck!:)

Ok since it seems I have too much light, would it be ok to lower it some? If so what would you suggest. THe current lighting is 4 160 watt vhos 2 uri actinics, 1 uri actinc white, (12,000k) and 1 uri sun @ 10,000k.

Back