too much sand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

glidenonk2

I just started up a 90 gallon tank, added two beautiful peices of live rock(partially cured) and I am just sitting around waiting for the tank to cylce. some have told me to add a couple of damsels to jump start things. but my primary question is there is about 2-3 inches of sand throughout the tank, maybe a little bit higher in spots. it that too much?

Welcome to RF! Hope you enjoy it here:) As for the sand, no it isn't too much depending on what you are trying to accomplish. In some cases, what you have is not enough. What you have now is basically a shallow sand bed (ssb)...Anything more and you start getting into deep sand bed (dsb) territory that functions differently and requires different maintenance than a ssb. So if you are just keeping the sand bed mostly for looks and for critters to run through etc, then you are good to go with the sand.:)

Good luck with the tank! If you have anymore questions please let us know:)

Like Krish said. If you are after looks with the sand then you are fine. If you are after a DSB then you need double that. If you are considering a DSB you need to do some research first. Pass on the damsels. If anything add more rock. The uncured rock will cycle your tank.

well it all depends on the size of the tank....

Welcome! welcome...

Yeah like i said.... its no good if its a 10 gallon tank... but some people are saying the more the better if youre doing DSB. BTW, what kind of sand? Sugar fine? or the crushed corals type?

Did I say Welcome already? well here you go... Welcome!!!

Last edited:
BTW the sand in my tank is sugar fine...seeded with some sand from one of kevin at aquatic dreams in spokane wa. great guy and really knowledgeable. thanks for the welcomes as well.

Last edited:
Then if your with Kevin, then your in good hands.... Hahahahaah, how i wish to see his tanks personally.

Agreed with that, i think that if you have any questions Kevin would probly steer you in the right way :)

BTW, that is about the depth of my sand, just keep it stirred up.

-augustus

Back