Too much Skimming

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trc

I have a 75 gal, dsb, lr, fish & coral, running two Seio 810's, with Remora C Pro with skimmer box. Things have been great with no problems until I noticed a little decline in the amount of bubbles coming from the skimmer. Rather than take the skimmer off and clean it, I thought maybe something got stuck in teh injector, so I used the cleaning brush and cleaned it.

It started bubbling like crazy, I thought great I fixed it, raised the skimmer collection cup (which has the drain hosed to a 3 gallon collection container) until I thought the skimmate would get funky and went to bed. Woke up this morning and discovered about a gallon or two of water under the tank from the overflow of the collection container. After cleaning this up I set the collection cup up very high and my wife still had to empty the collection container during the day.

This evening I adjusted the set screw in a little deeper and have been monitoring it. It's still bubbling like crazy.

Anyone heard of this or any idea's?

PS: I live in a second floor apartment and water out of the tank is a very, very bad thing.

It is very clear now. Previously it was dark and funky, just like it should be.

Sometimes after making adjustments or cleaning a skimmer, they take awhile to go through a lil' break-in cycle again. Give it a little time and see if it straightens up. If it's real wet skim, you might try raising the collection cup some.

I agree...I use to have the same issue with my AquaC EV120 whenever I cleaned it. However, sometimes I'd end up with a nice huge puddle of water on the floor:shock: Sometimes you need to allow the skimmer to settle and also sometimes after a cleaning it needs re-adjusting. Clear skimmate means your running it too wet.:)

Wow sounds very stinky! Peeyew! I hope you are getting food to go for dinner. If I was your wife :D hehe but I am not i am sure she is way kewler than me. I would want some TLC.

:) Just a thought.

Debbie

I just ordered one, so I dunno why it's doin it. I also live on a 2nd floor of an apartment so I feel ya on the water on the floor = VERY bad news thing...

Mine is kindof the opposite problem. My urchin was skimming real well for some time than 1 day the out put was maybe half of what it was before. I've made adjustments, pulled the set screw and cleaned the inner tubing, moved the collection cup up and down still not as much action as I'd like. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the responses. I was able to find other threads of RF that dealt with the same problem. I pulled the skimmer off yesterday to clean it and found a dead snail in the pump compartment of my skimmer box. I cleaned the pump but didn't clean the rest of the skimmer. While I still have the collection cup set high, I'm getting a good dry skimmate now. I expect that as the skimmer continues to pull the chemicals from the dead snail from the water, I'll have to lower the collection cup to where it was prior to this fun filled incident. Two things I've learned, 1) when the skimmer goes nuts, don't raise the collection cup and go to bed, 2) a 3 gallon waste container may not be enough. I've cleaned out the bottom of my cabinet and put the 3 gallon container into a five gallon rubbermaid.

addatives will make any skimmer overskim as well as certain foods like silversides or a dead animal inside the skimmer.

Last edited:
1) when the skimmer goes nuts, don't raise the collection cup and go to bed, 2) a 3 gallon waste container may not be enough.

EXACT SAME THING happened to me too! (except it was a 7 gallon bucket and it still overflowed!:eek: )

The one thing I've learned: Never underestimate the power of a Remora!
(It probably pulled out almost 10 gallons of wet foam out that night....)

And 2: buy a wet/water alarm for that collection bucket. ;)

screw that I'm going to run a tube from it to my sink while i'm on 24 hour shift and still have my neighbor check on it lol

You do that, and you'll empty your whole tank. Either that or if you have an auto top off, you're salinity will drop like crazy. I've done both. the wet floor sensor may be a better way to go.

Back