Top 10 Animals You didn’t know were Venomous

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Never injected palythoa toxin before. I stick to handcrafted ales and an occasional Margarita.

All kidding aside, when handling or fragging all zoanthids, care should be taken to not touch and protect eyes. Injured zoas are nasty!

Whenever fraggin my Zoanthids I wear goggles, and wash my hands before removing the goggles. Heck Zoas make my fingers a little tingly so I'm not messing around.

Never injected palythoa toxin before. I stick to handcrafted ales and an occasional Margarita.

All kidding aside, when handling or fragging all zoanthids, care should be taken to not touch and protect eyes. Injured zoas are nasty!

I have my own little story to add to this. I had a rock that was the back half was covered with green palys and they were starting to encroach on my nice big red monti cap. I was able to remove about 2/3 of them by removing the rock that they initially came on. I figured I would take the rock with the rest of them on it out of the water and start clipping them off with my fragging shears.

This didn't work too well, so I got a wire brush and started scrubbing the remaining palys off. This worked ok, except for the ones right up by the edge of the monti.

Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking and was standing directly above the rock as I was scraping them off the rock. They must have emitted some toxin that I was breathing in, because I was laid up most of that night and felt awful for the next couple days. It felt like a migraine, a chest cold and a sinus infection hit me all at once. It was awful.

The sad thing is that I knew these were poisonous, but totally underestimated the extent of this. I was wearing gloves, but that was not enough.

Anyways, I only have about 10 or so left on the rock that I am going to try to remove. I think I will look into another method to remove the last ones.

Boy am I glad I read this thread. I have a bunch of golden/brown palys that are getting out of control and I was going to have at them this weekend. I was going to do the gloves and goggles but now I will be even more careful.

Maybe during your next water change use the throw out water, and try to remove them under water in a seperate container from your tank?

That could work. I am doing a water change tomorrow night. I was also going to try some joe's juice or boiling kalk water. It works for aptasia, I was thinking it might also work for palys.

That could work. I am doing a water change tomorrow night. I was also going to try some joe's juice or boiling kalk water. It works for aptasia, I was thinking it might also work for palys.

Cool... let me know how it works out.

Make sure you are running carbon. Even a small Protopalythoa has a lot more mass than even a monster sized Majano. Where they are touching and stinging my sps, I am chopping the tops off and removing them.

I wonder if we get any of this toxin on our skin when we put our hands in the tank? I wear disposable gloves but they always leak and I end up with wet hands/arms. I've been getting more migraines lately and my husband keeps suggesting that it has something to do with the tank. I thought it might be my halides but I never thought I might be getting low doses of toxins through my skin...?

I wonder if we get any of this toxin on our skin when we put our hands in the tank? I wear disposable gloves but they always leak and I end up with wet hands/arms. I've been getting more migraines lately and my husband keeps suggesting that it has something to do with the tank. I thought it might be my halides but I never thought I might be getting low doses of toxins through my skin...?

It could be... as some people my be more sensetive to these compounds than others, especially when damaging Palyothas. I stick my hands in my tank just about everyday, and I have no issues that I can think of.... which is why I started this thread. I wanted to see if anyone has had any serious harm from the chemicals these little corals can emmit.

And dont forget...... All zoanthids are toxic. Palythoas are just the MOST toxic

My wife gets stressed when I remind her that my fish tank could possibly kill me and I try to keep it quiet. I guess an occasional reminder isnt so bad when she at least might have a clue what is happening if I ever go into anaphylactic shock.

Last edited:
My wife used to have a pair of those large millipedes in her 6th grade classroom. The kids either loved them or were scared to death. She used to handle them all the time. Once, her hand broke out in a rash that looked like stitches all over... presumably where all the feet were touching.

I have been getting stung repededly on my arm I put in the tank when cleaning. I never touch anything either. I never understand that. I bought the long armpit gloves at dr foster and smith and they work great.

I have been getting stung repededly on my arm I put in the tank when cleaning. I never touch anything either. I never understand that. I bought the long armpit gloves at dr foster and smith and they work great.

I've never been stung, but I have felt a little I'll after seperating some polyps from a couple rocks... I also think it's what stressed my fish. After a few water changes everything was ok. One of these days I'll get some gloves too.

I need those long gloves even though I hate gloves. I was so good about blowing off my rocks and doing water changes weekly until once about 6 months ago I had my hands in the tank for about an hour with the zoa's in there too and I felt my arm go tingly and I was sick for about 3 days. It does discourage me from putting my hands in the tank that is for sure!

P.S. I had an open cut.

Last edited:
Back