Topping off water...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

str8juizy

saltygurl
Ok, this may be a stupid question but I have never had a sump before. When I am topping off water do I add it to my sump or the main tank?

I designed the tank stand so that it is higher than a regular stand & open for easy access to everything under. I will try adding to the sump.

Thanks!

have pops build a stand as tall as the sump then get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid to set on it and you can do a auto top off that way or a gravity fed top off I vote for auto top off. as it is a better choice and less likely for over filling the tank and sump I do have the quiet one 1200 I need to clean it I am going to do a water change today and will have it cleaned if you still want it. I will not have a use for it.

OK, you can come over & help me with that when you come over to wire my lighting this weekend ;) You gonna be available on Sat? Oh & I still cannot get those stupid VHO's to work, something fishy with the wiring. Would like to get them working too.

Not going to use the vho's unless you think they are better than whats under my hood now. I am not sure what ballast the ice cap is...

go with the auto top off. I tried to add top off to the sump and couldn't get the return to calibrate with the outgoing water and I nearly had water going all over my floor. auto top off worked well for me.

I bought this IY kit from Aquahub(Chicago Sensor)

Easy instructions, and works great. They have 2 kits.

The cheaper one has 2 switches, one to set water line, and a backup (so if the switch sticks, you won't overfill your sump.)

http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html

and the second also has a switch that you put in backwards to the Top Off water reservoir, so that if it runs dry, it won't turn your pump on and burn it up.

http://www.aquahub.com/store/product27.html

Great DIY kit, and I think well worth it. Holds that system volume constant so there is no change in tank salinity, etc.

For my resorvoir I have an 18 gallon rubbermaid container I got at lowe's for 5 bucks, but you could use a 5 gallon bucket or whatever you want.

rob

My vote is to add to the sump. If nothing else, at least it's going to be dispersed a little better than me dumping a bucket straight into the tank.

Back