Torch Coral has an odd growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

warforged

MMORPG Addict!
I may have to get a picture up if you all can not ID what I describe.

The Torch is healthy (looking) and going strong since being introduced to my tank 2 weeks ago.

I had noticed on day one a weird burrow and seperate skeletal growth on the torch within the tentacle sweepers....

The skeleton is much smoother than the main body of the torch...and has a hole in it....there is some type of "Duster Like fans" that come out sweeping the water for food.

The difference between this and a feather duster head is it acts more Claw Like.

4-5 bristles on the top and like 2-3 bristles on bottom acting like a claw or jaw..it comes out and clamps at the moving water like its grabbing stuff to eat from the current.

If my description is good ...please ID ....if too odd sounding... I will try to get my hands on a Digital Camera ...i really want to know what the heck it is.

K ...camera is being given to me by a buddy today... I will take a pic...

It seems very very harmless just branching off the skeleton on its own...the Torch is healthy...

I will get that picture up soon just so you all can see this weird thing.

PS: I just googled barnacle and Torch Coral....it seems it's common..and I have a positive ID by another sites pictures.

>..so is the barnacle safe?

Last edited:
DonW, can you show us a pic of the so called pest, Vermetid sp?. I think that I have tons of these in my tank... and just want to verify. :razz:

DonW, can you show us a pic of the so called pest, Vermetid sp?. I think that I have tons of these in my tank... and just want to verify. :razz:

They are more a pain in rear than a pest. Although they really dont hurt anything they make a mess and affect the looks of coral that they attach to. Monti caps and digitata are the main ones they like. They look like a dead spot and put out their "web" to collect food. The web sits on the coral and collects food. If you let them get out of hand they will take over.

Don

Back