Travel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

going on a trip 6 months+ in length
i have a 10 running.
a 75 not complete

Key Notes:
I've been setting up this 75 for almost 2 years.
My 10 has been running for almost 3 years.
My roommate knows VERY little about saltwater tanks.

Do I:

A) sell both? (i could use the $)
B) sell my 10; keep 75 in storage (that 75 will get finished)
C) give contents of 10 to another reefer to babysit; 75 in storage (i love em both so much)
D) give contents of 10 to another reefer to babysit; sell 75 (i just really love my 10)
E) chance leaving my roommate in charge of 10; 75 in storage (i might come home to just a 75)
F) chance leaving my roommate in charge of 10; sell 75 (starting out from square one, possibly)

owch!!!!

IMO
B,C,or d

Deffintly not e or f

maybe a, you could just start over....

b is probly the less stressfull way..

i DOnt know about you, but when im not home im worried about my tank 100%..... hell going away form more then 12 hours hurts....... (not to mention i love my cat so much)

you should probly sell the 10, or if you trust the reefer enough 2 guard your tank (with out worry) , IF the reefer doesnt have nano experence and is lazy its doomed....

Id say the less stressfull 2 me would be to sell the 10 hold the 75....

wait i take that back...

dont sell the 75...

give it to me...

lol

i would gladly take the 10 off your hands... ;)

my vote is on B-then when you get back you can get back into it. or babysitting, but selling IMO is better because then you already have the $ for them. maybe get buyback rights lol

Last edited:
E) chance leaving my roommate in charge of 10; 75 in storage (i might come home to just a 75)
F) chance leaving my roommate in charge of 10; sell 75 (starting out from square one, possibly)

:eek: NO. :eek:

I would say sell the 10gal. Persionally, I am way too anal and protective of my stuff to let someone else to take care of it for me. Plus that may be a lot to ask of someone. I don't think I would be comfortable asking someone to do all of that work with out hooking them up with half the livestock in the tank.

But... if you found the right person, that maybe the way to go. That way it would give them insenative to keep everything alive! Make a deal with them... "you can keep 1/2 the living stuff in the tank".

Last edited:
(starting out from square one, possibly)

with out a doubt.......

thats what i like to call a Crash and burn...

wait i take that back...

dont sell the 75...

give it to me...

lol

LOL i figured someone would say that :razz:

i would gladly take the 10 off your hands... ;)

my vote is on B-then when you get back you can get back into it. or babysitting, but selling IMO is better because then you already have the $ for them. maybe get buyback rights lol

Thats what i was hoping maybe.... that someone would hold on to the contents then when i got back let me have the stuff back with either monetary or frags

Mothball Both of them... Find a babysitter for the livestock

the equipment on the 10 isn't that much $

he knows the basics.... but if something happened i wouldn't trust him to know...or ask.

worst case would probably coming home to an algae filled tank

i might have exaggerated his babysitting skills :p

here is another question for you...Once you get the 75 up and running are you going to keep the 10 going??? If not then i would have a friend hold the corals till you got the 75 running if it was me..

ohh boy dood that's a tough one.
do you have a reef geek buddy?
i think the best would be to sell and then come back and start all over again BUT also with the money on hand.... temptations get in the way when you're on vacation :p.
what i'd do is give away the corals to someone and ask them to give you back a frag or whatever when you come back .......or you can always encourage your roomate to get into the hubby :p .... that way you could finish that 75 in no time :lol: .

ohh yeah i choose C :p

G:Cancel the vacation
!

Thats a tough one man. What I would do is see if a trusted reefer would be willing to house your most prized coral for the time period and sell the more common ones. That way its not a huge burden on someone and maybe theyd be more willing to do it? Most people can make room for 2 or 3 small corals in a large tank.

here is another question for you...Once you get the 75 up and running are you going to keep the 10 going??? If not then i would have a friend hold the corals till you got the 75 running if it was me..

never really thought about that.... thats a good thought though

ohh boy dood that's a tough one.
do you have a reef geek buddy?
gab's you the one and only reef geek :razz:

by the way is your roommate willing to do the water changes?
maybe ... haven't even talked to him about it... dont even know if i'm going to live here anymore once i leave..

Hire somebody local to drop by once a week and check up on babysitter
unless it was someone my roommate knew i think he might have a problem with random person just poppin in ..

gab's you the one and only reef geek

ppff i wish dood, if i had a bigger tank i'd say dump them all in here :) .

haven't even talked to him about it

wellllll that's a good start :p:lol: .

unless it was someone my roommate knew i think he might have a problem with random person just poppin in

that'd be freaking hilarious :lol: .... hmmmm which one of you are Adam's friend again and why are you cutting that coral :lol: :lol: .

man..i would take care of it but my dad would get pissed with 3-10g's in the kitchen =/ ...hey, if you decide to sell. i would love to buy that pokerstar. =)

Back