Treated for red bugs last night

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bc_slc

So treated last night for red bugs with the interceptor treatment last night. Followed the instructions, Jeff (Flugleness) was kind enough to help out and so far so good. Dosed at 6:30pm, 20% water change at 1:30am and my cleaner shrimp and snails all look okay. Dosing quite a bit of carbon as well after the change and everything is open and happy. After the water change I dropped some of the snails and hermits I separated back into the tank and they all look okay as well.

I will let you know how the next few days go.

Mat

nope. No known predators at this time. The interceptor takes care of them right away however. Only treated once and no signs of their return. Only loss besides some hermits was eventually my cleaner shrimp passed about 3 wks after the treatment. Interesting. I have read a lot about people losing their shrimp after their second treatment and I wonder how many would have died anyways if we waited a few weeks without treatment.

Mat

Hi there Mat.

My cleaner shrimp died on the 2nd treatment (which was done about 2 weeks after the first treatment).

Best,
Ilham

I have the interceptor for a second dosing, but I am holding off for now. It has been about 5 wks now and no signs of their return.

Good deal, at least you have some extra for dosing on new frags that you get. I see where alot of stores are now QT'ing there stuff and dosing with interceptor. This is a good thing for the hobby.

I picked up a few frags that have bugs. I put them in the QT and am going to dose interceptor. The treatment procedure I read recommends repeating the treatment 3 times over the course of several weeks. Does anyone think I can get away with just doing it once, maybe at a higher dosage in a QT tank?

Personally, I'd dip them for about 6 hours with a slightly higher dose than recommended. That is what I've done in the past and it works well.

I bought a frag that had red bugs, but all I have done was dip them in Iodine for 20 minutes. The bugs fell off within 5 minutes, but left them in there for additional 15 to hopefully kill the eggs.

I used around 15 - 20 drops of Lugol's Iodine in about 1/2 gallon of water, do you guys think that's enough, or should I worry about the bugs coming back?

Its been 1 week since and no visible bugs, yet....

Ok dudes I ground up the beef-flavored doggie pills and plopped them in my QT. I hope to report later that the pestilence has been eradicated.

I bought a frag that had red bugs, but all I have done was dip them in Iodine for 20 minutes. The bugs fell off within 5 minutes, but left them in there for additional 15 to hopefully kill the eggs.

RB's don't lay eggs / Offspring are live bearers

Back