tri color or purple bonsia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

anyone got a photo of a purple bonsia or tri color, i recently pick up a frag..2inch that purple and with green polyp..was wondering if it was a tri color or bonsia..especially the branch are a bit thin compare to most acro...

thanks

Here is a picture of my Acropora valida which is often called a Tricolor.

Regards,
Kevin

Valida.JPG

don't think its a tri color..the branch..that i got seem alot thinner..might be a bonsia or vlida or something like that.. i'm suprise how do u keep your sps so close and they don't touch..mines tend to fall over and touch each other and bleach..lost a purple rim cap to millie...any tips kevin? to prevent them from growing without touching each other

Over time it's really not possible to keep them from fusing into one large rock. Often times they reach an agreement and grow close but fight little. Sometimes one begins to dominate another and intervention is required by clipping one back to protect your favorite :)
Here is a picture of four separate rocks and corals that were mounted to them fusing into one rock over a period of six years or so. They were all 2"-3" frags when I got them and have provided many frags.

end_coral.JPG

Regards,
Kevin

I have had similar experiences like Kevin although not as large of a mass, but corals do tend to fuse together. However I find that is usually only when they become colonies. IME if a frag gets too close to a competing colony it's a gonner.

Back