Trimming Pulsing Xenis (Xenia umbellata)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

risin

I will be trimming back my Xenia for the first time tomorrow. I just wanted to know if there is anything I should be careful of. Also, I hate to just throw away the trimmings... does this stuff sell? or does anyone want some (you pay the shipping of course). I'll probably have about 5-6 medium sized stalks. Thanks in advance.

propogates easily, sells well, etc.. a fine coral farming species.

obey typical rules (cut only one species per tank per day, have good water flow, minimize handling, use carbon and a water change soon after is helpful, etc.)

dont throw

I will be trimming back my Xenia for the first time tomorrow. I just wanted to know if there is anything I should be careful of. Also, I hate to just throw away the trimmings... does this stuff sell? or does anyone want some (you pay the shipping of course). I'll probably have about 5-6 medium sized stalks. Thanks in advance.
ill take your throw aways if they re descent lookin, dont throw those away. let me know whats up

Thanks for the info Mr. Calfo. I would love to try and sell the stuff, but first things first, I need to figure out where I'm going to put the peices. My new sump will have an area for frags and such. I guess I'll place the frags on a pile of rubble and hurry up on my new sump.

Also, I run Purigen 24/7. Should I also run Carbon for the fragging?

I'll let you know how it goes Deezn7.

They don't handle shipping very well. You probaly be better off finding someone local. Also make sure you have some fresh carbon running when you trim them.

Dennis

I got some carbon and did the dirty deed. Didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped, but it was my first time... The Xenia turned into a giant ball of snot when I cut it. I rubberbanded the trimmings to a piece of rubble (is that "ok"?).

Xenia to me is relatively hardy and easy to propagate. Mine grows like weeds and I had a whole aquaculture tank full of the buggers. The only thing was that my LFS can only take 7 pcs/week for store credit.

I unfortunately lost that whole tank full when I moved since I didn't have anything to handle it all at the time but now my main reef is full and ready for harvesting once more.

What's the proper trimming procedure? Scrape the bottom of the stalk with a credit card or something like that? I have to do this too in a day or two and have never done it before.

always avoid touching tissue when possible... chisel under the stalks by biting into the rock slightly witht he angled chisel (a sliver of rock will be taken with the polyp). If any connective tissue must be cut, use a sharp single edge blade such as a razor blade or scalpel. Pat dry the rocky base and dab with superglue to fix to a new surface.

Back