Trochus spawning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Forestal

Hey all...wanted to share...sorry pics aren't the best, my trochus spawn about every 30-45 days (havnt kept track good enough), but it occurs 30 min. after the main lights go out, leaving just the actinics (2 x 55's )...

best pics i have so far...the corals and others seem to go nuts...takes an hour or two for the water to clear up too...

trochusspawn.jpg

this one is cool...most of his/her body is out of the shell and standing up on tip toes so to speak :)
trochusspawn2.jpg

Awesome! Here is a thread on my Mass Trochus Spawning. I have a pic of a snail releasing eggs. I noticed plenty of baby trochus about 30 days or so following the event, and they have since grown up.

thanks Nikki...nice shots of yours...mine mostly look cloud like (?males)...i also notice tons of babies in 2=4 weeks...altho i havent noticed a lot of bigger ones in several months...but they are good at hiding...

the neat thing with the babies is their shell position changes relative to body through several phases (they are tiny so this is just my maybe wrong observation)...i remember reading about this in invert zoo book...

Dan - I couldn't get a good pic of the smokey cloud emitted by the males (assuming it is sperm). I've only seen this happen a couple of times since, so conditions must not be as good as they once were for the trochus. I remember with my event, it started with one male, then another....then the females started. I was fascinated and wondered what triggered it (mine happened after lights came on). The bicolor blenny was in the tank at the time, and he just hung out on a ledge above a spawning snail....eating whatever floated up his way.

Back