Tropic Marin, Tropic Marin Pro - what's the difference ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nu2SaltH2O

What are the differences and advantages/benefits (mainly for corals and inverts) between the Tropic Marin and the Tropic Marin Pro salt mixes ?

I'm confused between the two due to my lfs told me I would have to add calcium no matter which one I get. Doesn't the Pro have calcium in it anyways ? What about magnesium ?

I know there are other different salt mixes and alot of people have different opinions on them (Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals etc ...). I also know Tropic Marin is abit pricey and I've heard some good reviews on them. I am considering using this brand once I get into the hobby. Any insight will be appreciated.

my lfs told me I would have to add calcium no matter which one I get.

I think it would have been a better statement if he replaced the word "add" with the word "monitor".

I use Reef Crystals (RC), which has boosted levels of Ca and trace elements over Instant Ocean (IO). Maybe the difference between TM and TMpro is the same?

Tropic Marin is there original formula, its been around just about as long as IO it should test at about 360ppm Ca, 1150ppm Mg, and 8 dkh. the Pro is there new formula designed to be used with calcium reactors. it really only has a small bump in Mg and Ca. 380ppm Ca, 1300ppm Mg and 8 dkh. they are both great salts, i used them for 3 years but importing them makes them to expensive so i stopped. i can get 2 buckets of Reef Crystals for the price of 1 TM pro.

Can the Pro be used without the reactor ?

So there is really no difference between the two except to monitor the calcium. I'm assuming it doesn't matter which salt mix I decide to go with, calcium still has to be monitored, correct ?

Yep - that's what the lfs owner said to me - "add" the calcium. I would have understood better if he told me the calcium will need to be monitored.

Back