Trouble with Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Monkey

I currently have a hang on Red Sea Prizm Energizer Skimmer and I'm having problems getting it to work. When I put salt water into it and hang it on the back of the tank the motor seems to be working (it's making noise) but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I've read where you need to let them go for awhile and then they'll kick in but mine seems to be trying to work but it's not bringing any water from the tank up into the skimmer and nothing gets collected into the collection area. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas to get this thing working? Has anybody had this or anything similar happen to them before? I'd sure appreciate any tip/trick/advice that anybody might be able to offer.

Jeff

Reefmonkey, why don't you send a PM to this person:

Skimerwhisperer

He can help with pretty much any skimmer issue.

I agree with Jan... Mark (Skimerwhisperer here) has probably the most experience with various skimmers here in Reef Frontiers.

Having talked to Mark (skimmerwhisperer) about my prizm skimmer I can tell you he is likely to advise a different skimmer. However, to get my old HOB prizm to suck up water I had to pinch off the tube that draws in the air (not sure what this is actually called). Once the water flow got going I could then adjust the air flow.

I found my prizm to be very inconsistant, good skimmate sometimes and others times it would fill up with water and start squirting water down the back of the tank. Mark sold me an in-sump Octopus and I am absolutely loving it! I moved the prizm to the QT but it ended up leaking all over the place when I turned my back on it and I had to tear down the QT to dry out the floor:evil:

Back