True Percula Clowns vs False

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Azn

Life's Beachy!!!
I know they are different in prices (well a lot more I'd say), the designs, and being captive vs not, but are there any benefits of having True vs. False Perculas?

I'm just saying because I've always like having authenic things, but it can get pricey. Just like women with their purse's :badgrin:. So is it like having a Foui (fake Loui) vs. having a Loui Vuitton purse? :D Is this basically pretty much a good analogy?

I'm saying this because I've seen a very nice pair of adult sized True Perculas for $50 which I thought was pretty cheap. I already have a pair of false perculas, but I think I want to get the True Perculas. Should I and is this a good idea anyone...? Of course they won't be in the same tank together.

I think it's more of a personal preference to people. I like the True's coloring a little more.
Amphiprion ocellaris = False Percula
Amphiprion percula = True Percula

The False Percula is normally known to be a little more hardy. Both can be found in the wild. I believe the False Percula has more dorsal spines than the True does as well.

Thanks ReefJunkie... I'd agree with the colors. So I was right, it's all about having a Foui vs Loui :D except Foui doesn't last as long keke.

I guess I'm going to give them True perculas a new home. Adult size for under $50, can't complain there.

Never liked the terms 'true' and 'false'. It's as if one was better or more authentic than the other. Seems 'speciest' to me.:lol:
Slight coloring differences but that's about it. if you like thicker black outline on your clown fish then the Perc is your fish, if not the Ocellaris is still great as well

I personally would say True Ocellaris or False Ocellaris :D I much prefer how the ocellaris looks, i don't like the odd black patterns the percs have. The nice orange and white of the ocellaris i think is perfect. Also nothing beats the black ocellaris in my book :)

the terms "true" and "false" have nothing to do with the authenticity of the fish, like it does with real and fake designer purses. Just like ReefJunkie said:

I think it's more of a personal preference to people. I like the True's coloring a little more.
Amphiprion ocellaris = False Percula
Amphiprion percula = True Percula

The term "false perc" is a pet name or common name for the ocellaris because it looks the same as the other fish. Dont be confused, the ocellaris is a different species within the family Amphiprion. Same as the perc. The name likely came about because one was discovered first and they have similar looks.

The differences to you, as a reef keeper or fish collector, is which color you like the best because they are pretty similar in all other ways that matter; temperment, size, reef safe ect. The one difference that may affect you is which host they will choose.

Back