Trying to decide on a protein skimmer and I've read quite a bit, but I'm confused.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MTWiley

Here's my build, it's a 150 gallon display tank with a 50 gallon sump that I'd like to keep a mixed reef in, if you'd like more details please feel free to visit the link or ask any questions necessary.

After reading a ton of stuff here on the forums and a few other places I'd consider myself fairly well educated on the basics of how protein skimmers work, and the different types of skimmers. Unfortunately in all my reading I still haven't come up with a concrete answer as to whether downdraft, venturi, spray jet, needlewheel, airstone, or some other type of skimmer works best or more efficiently.

I've read a ton of posts recommending Octopus skimmers, and so I looked a bit more into them and found these two.

Reef Octopus 8" Pinwheel In Sump Skimmer OCT NWB200
Reef Octopus Extreme XS 200 Protein Skimmer

The first is rated for aquariums up to 250 gallons, and the second is rated for 200 gallon aquariums but the first is cheaper than the second. I'm assuming, and maybe I'm making a mistake, but that there must be some reason for the Extreme XS 200 costing more money despite not being able to handle as large of a tank.

Would someone mind cluing me into why this is and/or recommending a skimmer for my system along with why that skimmer would be good for my setup?

Give Mark (skimmy) a chance to chime in. He's one of our skimmer guru's here LOL! In the meantime, if you browse through some of the skimmer threads in this section you will see quite a few of his recommendations on probably silimar sized tanks. :)

HOLA!! well, to answer your question in a nutshell, the best kind/type of skimmer IMO, is a cone skimmer with a bubbleplate, and a pump with an aspirating venturi/pinwheel impeller.... but that being said, a cylinder skimmer with the same bubble plate, and pinwheel pump is almost as good. in anecdotal tests between a cone skimmer and cylinder skimmer of the same power/design features, the cone was about 20-25% more productive.

well, for a 150g, w/ a nice fuge in the sump,( i would also think about running carbon in a reactor 24/7) i would suggest the folowing skimmers;
SWC Cone
Xtreme 200 protein Skimmer
ATI-0303 Premium Aquatics - ATI-0303
http://www.reefspecialty.com/virtue...s/64-atb/483-atb-840-v20-protein-skimmer.html

hell, you could even get away with this $195 skimmer since you are planning a decent sized fuge (and carbon in a reactor)... :)
SWC150 BMK

Thanks for the info and suggestions, and such a quick response Skimmy.

Any recommendations on a carbon reactor?

Thanks for the info and suggestions, and such a quick response Skimmy.

Any recommendations on a carbon reactor?

TLF-PHOSREC Premium Aquatics - TLF-PHOSREC
MJ1200 Premium Aquatics - MJ1200
1.5 Pounds- Half Gallon Premium ROX 0.8 Aquarium Carbon - English

the maxijet 1200 pump is a bit much for running with just carbon, but the reactor comes with a valve to adjust the flow from the pump, and this way you can run NP biopellets in the reactor later if you wish, or any other media that might require faster flow.

Last edited:
Back