• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tunze salt

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

Hello Cy or Chris.

I bought some Tunze salt during your big sale and I must say I am loving it!!! in one week I have already seen improvements in my tank! and there is none of that brown film left in the mixing barrel like IO leaves behind.

My question is this:
is there anyway to purchase this salt in larger orders (possible group buys) to save some green on it? and if so would it be on top of the psas discount?

Thanks for your great service!

Cheers
Matt

salt

I bought some at the sale too. Good salt.
let me know about the bulk buy. Im up north burlington so I would buy in bulk

thanks

Johny99

been debating on going with tunze salt heard nothing but good about it and recently IO being the way it has really leans me towards the extra $$ to go with tunze but would def. go in on a group buy if it would cut the cost down per bucket.

We love this salt as well. Tim and I have decided to put the entire store on it. Its going to cost us a little more but we feel its worth it. We just placed an order for more buckets and the larger 158 gallon mix boxes (will save you $ per gallon). Like I/O, we still have very small margins. It seems Tunze either offers a discount and then we have to pay shipping or they offer free shipping but then no discount. Quantity makes no difference. I'm off today but I will take a look at the numbers on Monday and see if there is anything we can do. I'll post here:)

Last edited:
Anything is better than IO :p well maybe not coralife hehe. grats I hear its good salt. How much is the tunze going for per bucket ? ive been thinking of goign to that or that new H2ocean stuff looks really good but its 65 $ a bucket.

I have used both tunze and H2Ocean. I'm having MUCH better luck with Tunze.

I first switched from reef crystals to H2Ocean. When some of my corals started stressing I thought it was from kalkwasser. After lowering my kalk dosage I continued using H2Ocean. Over the course of about two months the tank was developing all kinds of weird bacteria..........something I had never had an issue with before. At this point more sps then I care to recall up and went "puff"........flesh no more.

I then switched entirely over to Tunze, within two water changes the tank already looked much better. After a month or two of continued success I introduced a few new sps frags. They began growing well after about two months.

Not convinced that a high priced salt like H2Ocean could possibly be the cause of my previous ills...........I began blending the Tunze and H2Ocean. At first I did a 3:1 ratio of tunze to H2Ocean. The tank didn't show any immediate effects so over the course of two more water changes I upped the ratio to 2:1..............and what do you know bacteria and cyano were back in business! and my beautiful frag of of sunset milli started closing down shop.

This brings me to today. I just did an all tunze water change and I'm still fighting the good fight.

Long story short..........things seemed to get better with Tunze and worse with H2Ocean.

Perhaps I should have never changed from reef crystals at all.

PS for those local and looking to try H2Ocean check the classifieds for some free salt;)

I made an error above. The bigger box Tunze sells is a 158 gallon mix box (not 200g) and it sells for 69.99. I did some searching online and when you figure shipping into "their" prices and taxes into ours we are still cheaper than any online places I could find. Plus, we do honor the PSAS discount on Tunze Salt. I'd still be open to a group buy, but it would have to be worked out by some of you:)

If one person comes and makes a single payment for 27 buckets (126g) we can do 49.99 plus tax, per bucket. You can either leave the distribution list with us or have one person pick it all up. We could do 59.99 plus tax per box on 27 of the 158g mix boxes.

I also picked up Tunze salt at the sale also and am glad to hear people are liking it! I have not started using it yet as I still had half a bucket of IO. Next weeks water change will be the first with the Tunze.

anyone have the specs on this salt? Ca, Alk, Mg for salinity of 1.026. I am starting to rethink IO after recent issues I've heard about (though I have 2 buckets left so it could be a while)

anyone have the specs on this salt? Ca, Alk, Mg for salinity of 1.026. I am starting to rethink IO after recent issues I've heard about (though I have 2 buckets left so it could be a while)

this was posted while back heres results from barrier

Tunze Reef Excel Salt Test Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We finally got around to testing the Tunze Salt we brought in. Looks like this is going to be a good salt option. This was mixed with RO/DI water to 1.025. Tests were done with Elos Test Kits.

pH- 8.3
Calcium- 470
dKH- 9.5
Mg- 1350
Phosphate- 0
Nitrate- 0

We are going to run this on the Display/Frag for a while and see how things respond. D-D's salt will still be run on the Elos and Instant Ocean on the fish and coral walls. This will give us different systems to compare the salts.

I switched over to tunze salt a couple of months ago from IO when I noticed a change in the alk. Tunze is more expensive but so far it has been great, well worth the money.

Back