two metal halide bulbs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hotboisdotcom

So, for a 29 gallon high tank, i have a 175 watt iwasaki metal halide with 2 65 watt pc actinics. Will adding another 175 watt metal halide into the setup increase my intensity?

Generally You get a more Intense light for deeper tanks or just certain high light coarls.

The Reason to add more Halides is Because the Most intense spot is Directly underneath it and as you go farther away it gets Quickly dimmer.

Adding a second light of the same type would make almost all of the tank the SAME intensity.

That's not always a good thing as some corals need less light than others!!

Yours I believe is only 18" deep. I think one is sufficent. but then again I have seen Coral Farmers put two (250 watt 20K ) over a 40 gallon tank.

Really I don't know why you want more intensity in such a small tank But It's not that unusual to put one 250 watt over that size which would give MORE intensity directly underneath it--- even more than two 175 watt bulb's .

:)

Paul

It will double your par... Per having just one now.. i would agree that one 250 mh would do the work of 2 175's. Just a matter of opinion though.... how hot is your tank running with just one 175? That would be my concern.. happy Reeffing

So, par would increase but intensity would stay the same, basically? Tank temperature is usually 76-79. I was thinking 2-175s so that I could mix a 10k with a 20k for good coloration, not to mention, the par increase is also a plus. What do you think?

Last edited:
Crystal has a 29 gallon with a 250 over it i belive and its just a softie tank from what i remember. I dont know how high it is above the water though.

Dual 175's on a 29 is overkill. If you do decide to do a dual 175w set up you might plan on a chiller in your future as it will get hot.

Also it all depends on what you plan on keeping in the glass box as to what type and amount of light you might need. If you already have a single 175W halide I would say wait to see how everything grows in that light. Try a 12K Reeflux bulb and supplement if you want with a couple of 65W pc bulbs in either a Act or even a 420nm/460nm combo bulb.

Cheers,
Alex

Back