Two questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

One when mounting MH reflectors and bulbs who do you protect the bulbs from the splash?

Two can you add base rock directly to a mature tank, without having a new nitrogen cycle?

One when mounting MH reflectors and bulbs who do you protect the bulbs from the splash?

Two can you add base rock directly to a mature tank, without having a new nitrogen cycle?

Most halides are just open unless they are DE bulbs. You can use rock like Marco rocks in a establish reef with no ill effects. If its live base rock you may cause a cycle.

Don

Moving to a bigger tank and need to add so base rock (dead,clean,white) just to increase the volume of rock. my live rock is very live and it would take long for my inhabitants to spread.

If I have my MH 175 w bulbs mounted to a canopy about 10 inches above the water I don't need a glass shield in between the water and the bulb?

Nope just be careful I burn my elbow cleaning the tank more then splash water on it.

As far as live rock or base rock if there is nothing on the rock to die off then there will be no cycle.

I agree on the base rock as well. Once it is base rock, there is nothing to die-off so nothing to cause a "cycle". As for the bulbs, I had a thread here a while back where water splashed on my MH bulb which caused it to crack. As a result, I had to replace the bulb and ended up buying a pendant with a glass shield to protect the bulb. :)

Back