uh oh!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

danno14

That's Dumas!
My leather corals have been putting out these tendrils....are they sick? They seem to be getting longer as time passes....

June82007050.jpg
[/IMG]

June82007047.jpg
[/IMG]

JK :)

Not sure I'm seeing the Tendrils you speak of in your pics. Your Leather sure looks healthy. It could be their way of getting rid of waste or detritus that's built up on them. My leathers go through a period of no polyp expansion for a few days while they slough off waste.

I'm not seeing what you're talking about either, Dan. I just see healthy leathers. :confused:

AAaaaccctuualllyy,,,,, the JK:) = Just Kidding!

Jan-
These leathers aren't the ones I got from you, but those too are doing wonderfully.

Thanks again!

my husband misses that toadstool. It was pretty much the only thing in my tanks that he liked. :rolleyes: (I know how to win 'em over, you know? :lol:)

seriously, trying to do the SPS focus and keep the higher toxin softies away.

It's kinda sad to think that really healthy corals are such a rare sight that when we see them, some of us wonder if there isn't something wrong with them. LOL ::sigh::

Anyway... nice work Danno! Your leather is beautiful. :)

I do appreciate the help guys.

I.... was.....JOKING! :)

Check my join date....not a noo-b

Maybe I need a bigger skimmer?
June92007008.jpg
[/IMG]

My wife is pretty understanding of what I have....I would have to cut a hole in the ceiling to go bigger and she's not so keen on it :p

Dan, my comment about SPS/leathers wasn't directed to you, I know you know this stuff. :lol: It was for any of our newer members/hobbyists who might be reading this thread.

Sarcophytons are funny... though very hardy, they are easily irritated by our hands in the tank. You will notice (common in farm tanks with less fussing than display tanks)... that if you go weeks or months without putting an ungloved hand in the tank, Sarcophyton polyps get staggeringly long.

Do keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible for this reason and many more.

Do keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible for this reason and many more.

WOW another amazing bit of info! I have my hands in the tank at least twice a day with algae clips for my tangs if not other reasons. I can make other arrangements if need be, can you please elaborate on the reasons?

Its a common observation by aquarists and coral farmers.

Do consider that the various supplements that you add to your tank and know are working (iodine, etc) are in concentrations of mere drops/parts per thousand (or even more dilute).

Now consider the various potential contaminents on your hand, under your nails, on your arms, etc from daily life (work, contact, bathing, etc). These irritants can be in concentrations of parts per hundred.

The natural and unnatural matter we bring into the tank on our hands and arms are most always not harmful... just irritating to corals.

Back