UIC - UnIdentified Coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sytnom

Idaho Reef Adict
Here is a pic of a coral that came on a chuck of live rock rubble. The picture is unclear. It was too far away to get a good shot. A basic description: It has a hard column shaped base (There are actually 3 close together) The center (mouth) is lime green and the tentacles (polyps) are clear. It doesn't seem to care whether it is in good light or shadows. It does retract if taken out of the water or disturbed. Hope that helps,
Monty

Just another wild guess, but I think it may be a zoanthid.
I'd move it towards the front of your tank and get a better picture.

Can't see the picture too well either, but from what I can see, it almost looks like some sort of anemone :confused:

I'm thinking with the green mouth that its a zoanthid, but the way you describe it when you take it out of the water, it might be an anemone. Does the tentacles and everything fold in over the mouth when you take it out of the water? Or does the entire thing retract into the rock its on?

It is a hard coral of some type. I am familiar with zoas and anemones. This has a hard coral skeloton that looks like a tree stump. When irritated, the fleshy part retracts into the stump and it looks like a dead piece of coral. I'll see if I can get another pic after work today.

Back